 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12724
Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 18:07:55 GMT

What happened to the old days?  I don't remember Lego being this un-"fun":

-People never used to complain MORE of a cool set was coming along.  Sets
weren't "collectable" and no one worried about "exclusivity".

-Scalping wasn't an accepted way of doing things.  People used to help each
other out buying sets based, mostly on karma.  Find a set someone wanted?  I'll
pick it up for you, and in return, maybe one day someone will help me out.  Or
at most, maybe a finders fee.  None of this, "I'll buy 200 copies" and huck them
on eBay or BrickBay or whatever it's called.  It wasn't to say people didn't buy
stuff to sell, but it was an auxiliary thing, not the core of the hobby.

-Builders didn't steal each others design, they praised and tried other people's
ideas and techniques.  There was never debate about "copyrighting" a frickin
spaceship design and Lego fans didn't sound like 12 year olds in the schoolyard
kvetching about who invented the "Supergalaxinator 9000".  "Bobby did,
defintely.  He revealed the revolutionary Maxowhomper EX+ cannon at recess
yesterday, and it's clear Robert here has stolen the design!"  It was pretty
well a given you wouldn't go and try selling the design of someone else, while
calling it your own.

-Lego fans weren't gay or straight, they just were Lego fans.  That wasn't to
say there weren't gay Lego fans, it's just it wasn't a big deal" They were Lego
fans first, and only.  There weren't big debates from right wing religious nuts
or segregation into newsgroups based on sexual preference.  People just accepted
each other and let them be on their way.

-People never held Lego to their word (and when did Lego have a "word" anyways?)
like it was a legal contract or griped about it as if they were betrayed by
their father.  "You were a mistake!  A 9 month long mistake!" :)  Sheesh.  It
was accepted back then that Lego was this huge company that did things you had
no control over.  In a way, maybe it was better than way, because no one had the
expectation or self-congratulation that they were somehow important.

Hell, I'm even agreeing with Larry as of late.  What the hell happened?  Maybe
I'm just whitewashing the old days, but did Lego suddenly grow up?!  People just
didn't take this stuff THAT seriously a few years ago.  We were ADULTS having
fun with a KIDS toy.  Now people go about it as if it was their livelyhood or
religion.

Calum

Calum,

Thank you for saying what brought me to Lugnet 4 years ago, when I came out of
my dark age and found many friends and much enjoyment of playing with the
plastic brick.

Count me among your followers.

I've seen people who are highly passionate about something is that one may lose
focus and a sense of where they fit into the "big picture".  Something akin to
the adage "too close to the forest to see the trees".  People getting too caught
up in things to realize that they need to take a step back and realize what they
are doing, and how others perceive those making rants at others.

Instead of people bracing a core idea and keeping true to that core, passionate
people may tend to nitpick the details to death, causing much uprorar (and
sometimes, embarassment) to themselves, losing sight of what the point was to
begin with--it's the same thing I've found that happens with religion (sorry,
had to say it--I loved Dogma for some of what it pointed out..)

-Scott Lyttle