 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12702
12701  |  12703
Subject:
Trek Talk was Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:18:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ted Michon wrote:

   Like in Star Trek (the original series) the Spock’s Brain episode.

-Ted

Many people forget, however, that the ‘Gamesters of Triskelion” was after ‘Spocks Brain’

K, it’s not on ‘City on the edge of Forever” or “Tomorrow is Yesterday” or “Doomsday Machine”, but “Gamesters” is ranking up there in my books ;)

Though, stated right now I’m nut sure that Gamesters was after Spocks Brain--both ere season 3 eps (iirc) ;)

Lovin’ the Trekkie talk :)

Dave-

Without question, my two most favorite times in a movie theatre were watching, for the first time, the space opening through the moon landing in 2001: A Space Odyssey and every second of Star Wars (we saw the 16:00 showing on opening day at the Chinese Theatre in a crowd of mostly special effects workers), but that said one of my most favorite of all movie moments is in Star Trek IV when the crew goes up in a shuttle to see their new ship and it is revealed to be ... another Enterprise. That scene works for me every time (sort of like the reverse of watching the last launch of Challenger).

I loved the end of ST4--we had Sarek and Spock do the father/son “I never used to appreciate the decision you made but now I do” (and for any Trekkie worth their salt, that’s a very big thing...) and then the banter on the shuttle “Excelsior?? why in gods name would you want that bucket o’ bolts??” :), and then cue the music....

Oh My Goodness--I was very misty eyed in the theatre that day--almost as much as when “My God Bones, what have I done?”

Wow.

See, funny you should mention the Challenger--I still remember exacly where I was when I found out, just like the Columbia, and I still relelber the feeling I had when I first saw the Enterprise float off the 747... and I get that “je ne sais quoi” feeling there as well--it’s like one is the ‘birth of the next step of humanity’ and one is ‘the death of dreams’, but more than that.

I have a poster at home that I stumbled acrosss years ago, with a set up of the moon landing astronaut suit and, reflected in the visor is the Enterprise from the original series--“Face of the future” or something like that--can’t remember ‘casue the poster is stored somewhere and I haven’t seen it in years, but it’s just that really undefinable feeling that Star Trek brought out in me, that Star Wars, B5, et al, didn’t. The problem is, I do really like B5 and Firefly lots more ‘cause of the consistency, and the better stories, and such, but Star Trek, and the Great Bird of the Galaxy--that’s the birth of the genre for me.

City on the Edge of Forever, A Piece of the Action, The Doomsday Machine, The Trouble with Tribbles... it’s a wonderful list. I liked Gamesters too, but overall it still felt terribly “third season”.

It was, as were most others in the third season. But it was a fun one.

The soul of the series, to me, was the interplay between Spock, Bones, and Kirk. DeForest Kelly was born to his role in any context (same guy in a chuck wagon), Leonard Nimoy played Spock seriously, and William Shatner was just wonderfully over the top.

Love those Canadians. ANd I completely agree with your assessments.

   Much as I love Star Wars and John Williams incredible music (and I do love it, my wife and I walked down the aisle to it at our wedding), the emotional tug of the first few notes of the Star Trek theme are more powerful to me.

-Ted

Completely agreed, which is why it bothered me that, in the last movie with the original crew, the music wasn’t there!!! Grr!! Seems they played more of Alesander Courage’s theme more in TNG movies than they did in ST 6!!

The good bit I liked is that when Roddenberry used the same theme music from TMP in TNG--that’s a pretty spectacular theme.

Anyway, time for home for me.

Dave K