 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12668
Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:09:45 GMT

What happened to the old days?  I don't remember Lego being this un-"fun":

-People never used to complain MORE of a cool set was coming along.  Sets
weren't "collectable" and no one worried about "exclusivity".

-Scalping wasn't an accepted way of doing things. <snip>

-Builders didn't steal each others design, they praised and tried other
people's ideas and techniques. <snip>

-Lego fans weren't gay or straight, they just were Lego fans. <snip>

-People never held Lego to their word like it was a legal contract or griped
about it as if they were betrayed by their father. <snip>

Calum, a few of us in NELUG were just talking about these very topics at the
train show we did this past weekend.  While I'm not speaking on behalf of NELUG,
the four of us who were having the discusion all agreed that LUGNET, or more
correctly the community on LUGNET, has de-evolved into a very inhospitable
environment.  LUGNET used to be the core of the community and we always went
here to find out what was going on, even within your own LUG!  Now it just seems
to be a roiling mass of negativity that Jake, who apparently is the source of
all evil in the universe, bears the brunt of.  NELUG does over 99% of its
communication these days on its mailing lists and that's a shame since I think
what made AFOLs special to begin with wasn't all the amazing MOCs (though
clearly impressive), it was that we could organize and do train shows, displays
and robotic events all of which out-shine any single MOC - it's "the whole is
greater than the sum of its parts" thing.  At the global level, we were able to
evolve our talents at an astounding rate since we had such a large cross section
of the world sharing what they were doing - and there was encouragement!

I think the biggest thing facing AFOLs is that there no longer seems to be a
sense of community any more.  Not at the global level at least.  NELUG is still
cranking away and we're having fun, but it seems that it's now our fun and rtl
will have to have its own fun and so will MichLUG, etc. and more and more each
club will become focused on itself.  I hope I'm wrong about this, though the
fact that I even saw your post is a miracle, since I hardly ever read LUGNET
anymore.

- Joe