 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12734
Re: Trek Talk was Re: Whatever happened...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 2004 19:54:49 GMT

(snip)

K, it's not on 'City on the edge of Forever" or "Tomorrow is Yesterday" or
"Doomsday Machine", but "Gamesters" is ranking up there in my books ;)

Though, stated right now I'm nut sure that Gamesters was after Spocks
Brain--both ere season 3 eps (iirc) ;)

Egad, the third season was, well...not quite as good as the previous 2... but
I have a fondness for the original series.

Yep, even the third season, in the grande scheme of the history of television,
was still pretty good.  It looked like the actors were having more fun with
their roles anyway.

And William Shatner got to act like a woman :-) !

Lovin' the Trekkie talk :)

I'm bummed I came in late :-)

Dave-

Without question, my two most favorite times in a movie theatre were
watching, for the first time, the space opening through the moon landing in
[2001: A Space Odyssey] and every second of [Star Wars] (we saw the 16:00
showing on opening day at the Chinese Theatre in a crowd of mostly special
effects workers), but that said one of my most favorite of all movie
moments is in Star Trek IV when the crew goes up in a shuttle to see their
new ship and it is revealed to be ... another [Enterprise]. That scene
works for me every time (sort of like the reverse of watching the last
launch of [Challenger]).

My favorite two times at a theatre were watching [Raiders of the Lost Ark] -
lord, everything on that flick was great and way different from what I was
used to seeing - and the Death Star Battle in [Star Wars] - when the Death
Star blew, the cheers overtook the soundtrack!

I would have to say that ranking up there for me was when Christopher Reeve, a
la Brand New Superman, did his first flyby in the Fortress of Solitude.  Then
the "You've got me??  Whos got you????".  I can throw in that DVD anytime.

From that movie, I really like the final shot of Reeve looking toward the camera
while flying...one nice curtain call scene.

I need to get that DVD.

That reminds me of the time my friends and I went to see 'Generations' on
opening night (I've tried to see all ST movies on opening night, but that's
another story).  So here we are, about 10 of us, not the HUGE ST obsessed fans
(like those right in the row behind us, all in regulation Starfleet uniforms
(from TNG) with tricorders and the like) and we got to the theatre nice and
early ('cause it was opening night) and were a little talkative before the
movie.

You too :-)! I try to watch movies opening night so I don't get spoilers!

I'm sitting next to my good buddy John, and we both love Star Trek, but we also
love Lex Luthor, and Otis "Otisberg???Otisberg?????".  I start whistling the
theme to Superman reall quiet-like.  John picks up on it and he starts whistling
as well.  Then all my friends, we start whistling the theme to Superman and all
the trekkies behind us say "Wrong Movie!!!!"

Yeah, we know.

But we had a good laugh, and really didn't like the movie anyway.  I mean, it
was okay,but here's a guy who's saved the galaxy a few times--he falls off a
cliff and dies.  Eh.  Sure the books bring him back, but for crying out loud,
this is James Tiberius Kirk--fall off a cliff??  It's like Patton getting killed
by a moving cart.  Waittaminit.

You nailed that movie pretty well....Kirk gets lost and presumed dead in an
anomaly, and then he dies in such a nonheroic way? Oh please......

That said, the Enterprise-A scene is a pretty strong one, but Spock's death
scene in ST II is a good one too...

Another Dave Star Trek story--

When ATM's were first introduced, most banks put them in these large plexiglass
surrounded rooms at the front of the branch.  Friends and I are out 'bar
hopping' one night (me?  Barhop??  I was the DD--don't forget that....) and a
few of us had to get cash.  So 3 or 4 of us are on the inside waiting to use the
machine, and John (again) is leaning against the outside of the glass.  I walk
hesitatingly to the glass and lean against it, and put my hand up in the vulcan
salute, and say with a very raspy voice, "Ship.. out of danger?"... John plays
Kirk and we had a great time.

Firends are all laughing.  Was good fun.

My Star Trek Story from college:

This was mid 80s, and the series was in syndication (5:00 pm weekdays on TV 28),
and I had a roommate at the dorm...and we met up with some other firends to
watch...and we started a little game where we would guess the episode by its
teaser. After a month, it became really funny, as I was able to nail some
episode by the first notes of the music on the scene....

Bad Star Trek Habit:
When entering elevators with a number of people, say you want to go to "Bridge"
or "Engineering"

I loved the end of ST4--we had Sarek and Spock do the father/son "I never
used to appreciate the decision you made but now I do" (and for any Trekkie
worth their salt, that's a very big thing...) and then the banter on the
shuttle "Excelsior??  why in gods name would you want that bucket o'
bolts??" :), and then cue the music....

My favorite scene in the Trek flicks comes from ST III when Kirk and crew
board Enterprise, and Kirk tells his crew that he has to go on by
himself...and they all remain. That's what made STIII the most special to
me..if anyone has friends that are willing to follow no matter what, they are
truly lucky.

Friends like that.  "It would be a pleasure sair if you give the word..."

The books were a little better with that--Cadet Preston (Scotty's nephew) that
died in ST:II (not brought out in the movie) said basically the same thing that
Scotty did in ST:III.  It was touching.

That is in the extended STII...

And seeing them standing on the hill--"What you had to do--what you always
do--turn death into a fighting chance to live."

That reminds me when I saw a preview for STIII and here's the Enterprise with
what looked like the front half of the saucer section blown off.  I thought
"That's going to take lots of repair time!" not even comprehending that they
would blow it up.  That hurt right away. And the idea that they used the same
destruct sequence as seen in the best ep about racism ever--and here's where the
issue of not talking Trek for a decade comes in--I'm forgetting episode names!!
Grr!!!  "But he's black on the *left* side of his face!!"

[Let That Be Your Last Battlefield].

Tangents on tangents :)

Oh My Goodness--I was very misty eyed in the theatre that day--almost as
much as when "My God Bones, what have I done?"

Wow.

See, funny you should mention the Challenger--I still remember exacly where
I was when I found out, just like the Columbia, and I still relelber the
feeling I had when I first saw the Enterprise float off the 747... and I get
that "je ne sais quoi" feeling there as well--it's like one is the 'birth of
the next step of humanity' and one is 'the death of dreams', but more than
that.

I was in college (sophomore), got up late, and heard about it in passing as
something happened. Then I saw the footage, and was in shock.

The Chellenger--I was sitting in the library at Winona High School, and Carolyn,
a good freind for years comes in and states that the Challenger blew up.  I
thought that she was pulling my leg (she knew my lofe for all things space-y)
and thought that until I got home and saw all the coverage. Then I just sat and
stared ath the telly for a few hours.

Few days later I hear via the radio that many television stations got serious
flack from some viewers for 'preempting' whatever soaps were on at the time for
the live coverage of the shuttle blowing up.

You're missing your soaps????  That's probably also the moment that I truly
understood the 'smallness' of some people's lives.  It was also the day after
the shuttle disaster when I realized the depravity--I heard jokes about it the
very next day!  I was honestly disgusted.  I've since got over it, and realized
that getting my knickers in a knot over other people's personality
characteristics is akin to getting one's knickers in a knot because the sun
comes up in the morning.

I got pretty upset that serious questions were thrown about the space
program...suddenly we were too afraid to venture. A really sad thing to me.

I have a poster at home that I stumbled acrosss years ago, with a set up of
the moon landing astronaut suit and, reflected in the visor is the
Enterprise from the original series--"Face of the future" or something like
that--can't remember 'casue the poster is stored somewhere and I haven't
seen it in years, but it's just that really undefinable feeling that Star
Trek brought out in me, that Star Wars, B5, et al, didn't.  The problem is,
I do really like B5 and Firefly lots more 'cause of the consistency, and the
better stories, and such, but Star Trek, and the Great Bird of the
Galaxy--that's the birth of the genre for me.

It's the hope in the series. Star Trek (the series) was exploring - not
fighting a war or running away... Star Trek appealed to what we would like to
do...explore.

Bingo :)

I read somewhere, especially after the deplorable SW Ep 2 that the Star Wars
story is like greek mythology--where the gods fight amongst themselves and the
mortals often find themselves caught in the middle.  Anakin slaughters an entire
village and she says basically "there there you poor dear--lets fall in love
with one another"

That confused me...Padme wants to be with a borderline psychotic? That was bad
writing.

Star Trek puts humanity front and center.  How we, as normal humans, face the
challenges that life may throw our way.

I also really liked "The Inner Light" because it showed what the same person
might have become if he took a different path.  You could still see Jean Luc,
captain of the Enterprise, in this person that was a husband and a dad.  Really
nicely done, that particualr ep.

That is an excellent ep. Wonderful writing, and a great performance by Patrick
Stewart.

[City on the Edge of Forever], [A Piece of the Action], [The Doomsday
Machine], [The Trouble with Tribbles]... it's a wonderful list. I liked
[Gamesters] too, but overall it still felt terribly "third season".

What about [Errand of Mercy], and [Assignment: Earth] :-)?

Ooooh, Teri Garr :)

Her too :-)

It was, as were most others in the third season.  But it was a fun one.

The soul of the series, to me, was the interplay between Spock, Bones, and
Kirk. DeForest Kelly was born to his role in any context (same guy in a
chuck wagon), Leonard Nimoy played Spock seriously, and William Shatner was
just wonderfully over the top.

Love those Canadians.  ANd I completely agree with your assessments.

Agreed.

Shatner and Doohan--Canadian :)

:)

Much as I love [Star Wars] and John Williams incredible music (and I do
love it, my wife and I walked down the aisle to it at our wedding), the
emotional tug of the first few notes of the [Star Trek] theme are more
powerful to me.

-Ted

Completely agreed, which is why it bothered me that, in the last movie with
the original crew, the music wasn't there!!!  Grr!!  Seems they played more
of Alesander Courage's theme more in TNG movies than they did in ST 6!!

The good bit I liked is that when Roddenberry used the same theme music from
TMP in TNG--that's a pretty spectacular theme.

The first notes of the original series are very powerful to me...and the
movie theme is strong but in a different way.

Alexander Courage did a remarkable job--the actual original theme seems a little
dated, but when you hear Spock's voiceover from ST:III, with the theme updated,
it was remarkable.

Yep...I agree fully.

Joe

Joe