 Organizations / United States / SMART / *246 (-100)
  Re: May 22nd 2004 SMART Meeting Notes

Hi David I have a question about the "Milk Man" challenge for the July 31 S.M.A.R.T. meeting. What is the minimum radius of the line's turns? Thanks Mike (20 years ago, 8-Jun-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: New Lego store in BelSquare

(...) $%$#$%!! Sure, they wait until after I move to Arizona to put one in the Seattle area. This on the heels of Major League Soccer announcing that Seattle is on the short list for expansion next season. At least LEGOLAND California and the LIC at (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jun-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.us.sealug, FTX)

  Re: New Lego store in BelSquare

(...) Please let us know when it opens and the VLC would be down there an in instant! (20 years ago, 4-Jun-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.us.sealug, FTX)

  New Lego store in BelSquare

I was just in Bel Square today, and saw this: (2 URLs) Yeah!! Up until now the nearest Lego store has been either the one in Chicago, or Legoland California, both over a thousand miles away! The location is west of the tug-boat (and Talls Camera), (...) (20 years ago, 4-Jun-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.us.sealug, FTX)

  Re: Workshop 3D #8 Results

(...) Thanks David. I would also like to point out that David put in a tremendous amount on work into this challenge. He created both the sumo and the gap crossing arenas as well as making the RCX based timer and the angle templates for the line (...) (20 years ago, 25-May-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Workshop 3D #8 Results

Workshop 3D #8 Results I apologize for not posting these results sooner; it's been a busy month since the WS3D RCX Challenge. I've put a few pictures of the event at (URL) Here are the results: Line Tracking 1st: Gus -- 15.8 seconds 2nd: Lennart -- (...) (20 years ago, 25-May-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May 22nd 2004 SMART Meeting Notes

At our SMART meeting last Saturday there were a less robots than usual, but the quality of the robots there was definitely first rate! Gus, Patrick and I brought Gap Crossing/Cube Gathering mini-challenge robots. All of them attempted the entire (...) (20 years ago, 25-May-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: May 22nd SMART Meeting

(...) Last reminder: Just over a week before our next SMART meeting at Digipen (Saturday May 22nd, 2pm). In case you haven't been there before, here's the address and a map. 5001-150th Ave N.E. Redmond, WA 98052 (URL) It's just off SR-520, use the (...) (20 years ago, 14-May-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May 22nd SMART Meeting

In just over two weeks we'll have our next SMART meeting. The mini-challenge is to build a robot that satisfies some or all of the gap crossing/cube gathering requirements from the last Workshop 3D RCX Challenge competition. The rules for the (...) (20 years ago, 7-May-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks

(...) We're pretty lenient, as long as you register the day before, we'll gladly accept your robot. It makes planning for an event much easier if people register earlier, and we can provide your name to the science center to get in free to the (...) (20 years ago, 14-Apr-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks

(...) The deadline has been extended to noon Friday so go ahead and register. Gus Jansson event co-chair (20 years ago, 14-Apr-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks

(...) How loose is the registration? I'd like to enter, but I'm 4 days past the deadline. Yeah, I know I'm lame... -- Tony Hafner www.hafhead.com (20 years ago, 14-Apr-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks

(...) It's just one week until the RCX Challenge ... if you are planning to participate, make sure you register ahead of time. (URL) Also, as noted before, the mini-challenge for the May SMART meeting is any portion of the Gap Crossing/Cube (...) (20 years ago, 10-Apr-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Workshop 3D RCX Challenge in two weeks

The next Workshop 3D RCX Challenge will be in just under two weeks. If you are interested in entering a robot, please review the rules carefully as the Line-Tracking and Sumo rules have both changed. Also, the Puck Gathering event has been replaced (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  March 27th SMART Meeting Notes

Today we had our first meeting at our new location at DigiPen. It's pretty nice there. Thanks Tyler and DigiPen for providing an awesome new location! For our mini-challenge we had four or five people attempt it, and while no one was able to (...) (20 years ago, 28-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART's 2004 Grand Challenge: Robot Soccer

(...) I didn't actually unroll the mat until today, only to realize that it's 72" long, not 96". So the arena we'll use is 4'x6'. -- David Schilling (20 years ago, 28-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: March 27th SMART Meeting

(...) Since my time was limited, I decided to just build two robots that could meet each other. Pretty fun challenge, even without exchanging crates! I just completed programming the robots, and they seem to work ok. I'm excited to see what other (...) (20 years ago, 27-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: March 27th SMART Meeting

Last reminder about tomorrow's meeting (at DigiPen 5001-150th Ave NE, Redmond; map: (URL) -- the door is near the end of the building that's behind the Chevron gas station and the 7-11. Here are DigiPen's directions from their web site: (URL) I've (...) (20 years ago, 26-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: March 27th SMART Meeting

In just under a week is the next SMART meeting. We'll be meeting at DigiPen (5001-150th Ave NE, Redmond, WA 98052; A map: (URL)) The mini-challenge is to build two robots that can find each other, and pass a crate from one to the other. Check past (...) (20 years ago, 21-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  March 27th SMART Meeting

In two weeks we'll be having the next SMART meeting. Remember, this meeting will be meeting at a new location! We'll be meeting at DigiPen. The meeting will still start at 2pm. The address is 5001-150th Ave NE Redmond, WA 98052 Here's a map: (URL) (...) (20 years ago, 12-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th

Here are some pictures I took at the event: (URL) David Schilling (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th

If someone left a coat at the mall, please contact me. (Remove the spam block on the above email address.) -- David Schilling (20 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th

Today we had an AWESOME show at Crossroads Shopping Center! We had a new Crate Contraption with 10 RCXs, and dozens of other robots besides being displayed. The Kids competition was good too. There were 8 competitors in the Tug of War. Robots paired (...) (20 years ago, 29-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th

(...) Final reminder about the show at Crossroads Shopping Center tomorrow. If you are bringing robots that you wish to demonstrate which require significant setup, and you're willing to show them all day, it's okay to arrive earlier. People (...) (20 years ago, 27-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th

This Saturday SMART will be putting on a display of its members' robots at Crossroads Shopping Center. The show will be on February 28th from 10am to 5pm. SMART Robotic Marvel LEGO Mindstorms Display and Kids Robotic Competition February 28, 2004 (...) (20 years ago, 24-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART's 2004 Grand Challenge: Robot Soccer

(...) *SNIP* David, I am glad to see that this challenge is being tackled by another LEGO based robotics group. I have to say that so far this has been the most challenging event we have tackled. (...) *SNIP* We found that robots that get stuck on (...) (20 years ago, 11-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SMART's 2004 Grand Challenge: Robot Soccer

At our last meeting we voted on a new Grand Challenge: Robot Soccer. This will be an ongoing challenge for 2004. The reason for a Grand Challenge is that this lets you build a robot over a longer period of time. You will have many opportunities to (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  January 31st SMART meeting notes

At last Saturday's SMART meeting we had a bunch of people coming for the first time: welcome! Even more impressive, a number of them brought robots! I've posted a few meeting pictures at: (URL) The mini-challenge was to build a robot that could (...) (20 years ago, 5-Feb-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: January 31st SMART meeting

Final reminder about tomorrow's (Saturday) SMART meeting at the Redmond Regional Library, room 2, 2pm. See previous posts about the mini-challenge. It's our third anniversary, I hope everyone can make it! -- David Schilling (20 years ago, 31-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption

"Tobbe Arnesson" <StPnAtM@lotek.nu> wrote in message news:Hs7AyD.898@lugnet.com... (...) for the (...) the (...) I was amazed at the way that everything was designed to work together without passing bytes. absolutely excellent work, the pcitures (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption

Amazing! Purly amazing. Well done all of you! To bad this post seems to have been hidden in the flow of Lugnet. Thanks for the highlight Philo (added a spotlight myself alas I think it's too late for the frontpage). (20 years ago, 28-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption

(...) Looks like this incredible job didn't got enough attention... Congratulations, spotlighted ! Philo (20 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  January 31st SMART meeting

Just a reminder that the next SMART meeting is only a week away. We'll be meeting at the Redmond Regional Library at 2pm this Saturday (the 31st). The mini-challenge is to build a robot to manipulate crates or the small Lego soccer/basket balls. At (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Has anybody successfully added an RCX to 7471 Mars Rover?

Ever since I picked up the 7471 Mars Rover a few months ago, I thought it screamed out for an RCX modification. I saw a lot of discussion about the possibility, but didn't find where anybody had actually successfully done it. Now that BrickFest PDX (...) (20 years ago, 22-Jan-04, to lugnet.space, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.org.scibrick)

  January SMART meeting in two weeks

The next SMART meeting is less than two weeks away. On January 31st we'll be meeting in the Redmond Regional Library at 2pm. The mini-challenge is to build a new robot that either manipulates crates or the small Lego soccer balls or basketballs. The (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption

Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption ===...=== In June of 2003 SMART put on a massive display of robots at a local shopping mall. After the show a few of us got together for dinner to decide what would be cool to do for our next show. Instead of (...) (20 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !

  November 2003 SMART Meeting

It's a little late (I've been having weird computer problems for a while) but I thought I'd post some notes on the last meeting. First, though, someone lost an RCX remote; if anyone picked it up, could you please let me know so that we could return (...) (21 years ago, 5-Dec-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  January meeting

For those that were not at the November meeting, for Brick Heap Wars (which was a blast, BTW!), the challenge for the January meeting is to build a robot that either manipulates Lego soccer or basketballs, or crates, like the robots in our (...) (21 years ago, 1-Dec-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  November 8th SMART Meeting

It's been a while since the last SMART meeting, but that doesn't mean we haven't been busy. Nor does it mean that there aren't Lego robot activities that you can participate in: Robothon, sponsored by the Seattle Robotics Society this week at the (...) (21 years ago, 24-Oct-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Workshop3D RCX Challenge 7

(...) I've been looking forward to this, as usual. I've entered the last four Workshop 3D Challenges, and I've never even been to Seattle! David Schilling has been nice enough to run my robots in past events, but it doesn't look like that's going to (...) (21 years ago, 24-Oct-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Workshop3D RCX Challenge 7

On Saturday, November 1, the Pacific Science Center in Seattle will be the venue for yet another Workshop 3D RCX Challenge. This will be number 7! Events as usual will be Line Tracking, Sumo, and Puck Gathering. Last year he also had walking sumo (...) (21 years ago, 19-Oct-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart, lugnet.events)

  NWBrickCon 2003

This weekend SMART will be participating in NWBrickCon 2003. Any robots you would like to display are welcome. SMART will have a large display of cooperating robots, called the "Cooperative Cybernetic Crate Contraption". A smaller version of this (...) (21 years ago, 3-Oct-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: September SMART Meeting Canceled

(...) Just a reminder that the usual SMART meeting that would occur this weekend has been canceled. A number of our club members are participating in the LEGO roadshow which will be held this weekend at the Seattle Center near the international (...) (21 years ago, 24-Sep-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  September SMART Meeting Canceled

The Lego Roadshow is taking place the same weekend that we'd normally have our SMART meeting. Since a number of us are participating at the roadshow, it has been decided to cancel the normal SMART meeting that would take place on the last Saturday (...) (21 years ago, 12-Sep-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  NWBrickCon Registration Deadline

Some SMART members might not be aware of this because they missed the last meeting, but NWBrickCon is happening on the first weekend of October, at the Seattle Center. SMART will be putting on a display of robots at the convention, but there will (...) (21 years ago, 27-Aug-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: July 26th SMART Meeting

One of my robots decided to try the "center of gravity above the rope" challenge on it's own initiative Sunday. The results were not pretty, but nothing was permanently damaged, and the robot is back together now. Sean and I are having a lot of fun (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART Robotic Marvel

I want to thank David for putting this show together! I think it went very well, introducing many people to Lego robotics and our club. The robots on display captured the interest of a large number of people walking by. The contests worked well, (...) (21 years ago, 15-Jul-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  July 26th SMART Meeting

In two weeks SMART will be having its next meeting at the Redmond Library, room 2 at 2pm. The mini-challenge this time is to build a robot that can cross from one table to another on a taunt rope. You won't be told ahead of time how far the tables (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jul-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SMART Robotic Marvel

SMART Robotic Marvel A LEGO Mindstorms Display and Kids Robotic Competition SMART's robot display and kids competition at Crossroads Shopping Center was tremendously fun! We had a ton of robots, using over 40 RCXs, a half dozen scouts, some (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

I'm short some boat weights for my demo robots (my line crossing robot uses some, as does Sean's tug-of-war robot). If anyone has some extras laying around, I could use 6 just for tomorrow so I can have the helicopter, spot finder, and Sean's (...) (21 years ago, 28-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

The link: (URL) not working right now. I'm not sure who to contact about this. Hopefully it can be fixed soon. Gus (21 years ago, 26-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

I plan to bring my helicopter as well. I think it will be interesting to see two helicopters. I'll also bring my puck gatherer and line tracker. I will try to bring Alegomazer if I can find an RCX for it. Barton, are you bringing your puck gatherer? (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

(...) Tomorrow I'm getting together with the coordinator at Crossroads to plan the layout of our display this Saturday. If anyone else knows or even just hopes that they'll be coming to the show, let me know as soon as possible what you'll be (...) (21 years ago, 25-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

(...) There's only a week left until our show at Crossroads. Thanks to the people who have replied so far! I hope that more than that will show up, though! Since it's important for planning and setting up that I give an estimate of the number of (...) (21 years ago, 21-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  July mini-challenge - Rope crossing

Ah, those deceptively simple challenges! This one is proving to be more challenging than I initially thought! After a fair amount of work, Sean and I each have a robot put together for the rope crossing challenge. Sean's starts on the rope and just (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

(...) I can bring several robots to demonstrate. I've still got my spot finder pretty much together, a couple sumo robots and a line tracer from W3D, a helicopter, and the figure 8 racers. My nephew's puck gatherer is still together as well, and I'm (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

(...) Thanks! All of these robots are welcome. I will bring a line for line tracking, and a puck-gathering arena. I can also bring a sumo arena if desired. Did you want a plain white surface as well? For anyone else: when describing robots you'll be (...) (21 years ago, 13-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: SMART show at Crossroads

I can bring a few robots for demonstration as our line following ant, walking sumo and puck gathering robots all remain intact and operable. Will we have a white playing field available? Regards, Martin (21 years ago, 12-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SMART show at Crossroads

Our robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center is coming up in a bit over two weeks. I need to provide them with an estimate of how many tables we'll need. The more robots we show, the better this will be. So if you will be bringing robots, (...) (21 years ago, 12-Jun-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Prospect of household robotics is good

While not mentioning LEGO Mindstorms, there's a column in the June Technology Review about how robotics is finally seeming to take hold in the world, and we might see, over the next years and decades real robots doing "real things"(tm) in the house. (...) (21 years ago, 18-May-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May 17th SMART Meeting Notes

Today, perhaps because of the nice weather, or perhaps because we met at the Bellevue library instead of our usual location, the number of people who attended the SMART meeting was down, as were the number of robots that showed up. But those who did (...) (21 years ago, 18-May-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May 17th SMART meeting

With only a little more than a week left before the next meeting, I thought I'd remind everyone about the two challenges that we'll be holding. Also, we'll be meeting at the Bellevue library this month, which isn't our usual location. First, the (...) (21 years ago, 8-May-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Move meetings to a weeknight?

(...) Well, not too many people turned up for the workshop, but I think for the people that took advantage of the opportunity, they improved their robots a LOT! I can't wait for the competition May 17th! If anyone would like to have one last chance (...) (21 years ago, 29-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Grand Challenge Workshops

A quick reminder about the up-coming Grand Challenge Workshop this Monday at the Kirkland Library (308 Kirkland Ave., Kirkland, WA 98033) from 6pm to shortly before 9pm. Bring your Figure-8 robots, laptops, IR towers, extra Technic pieces, and make (...) (21 years ago, 27-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  May Mini-Challenge: Maxwell's Demons

A number of people have asked what the surface will be like for the Maxwell's Demons arena. (By the way, this newsgroup is for everyone to post in, not just for announcements by me!) Since the surfaces are very even, you should be able to get away (...) (21 years ago, 19-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Move meeting to a weeknight?

(...) When we first started SMART, Saturday was the best day for everyone, and since we only meet six times a year, people with busy weekends didn't mind. But it's a good topic to look at again. Perhaps if there is a huge turnout for the Grand (...) (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Grand Challenge Workshops

(...) Since I haven't received any more people interested in attending the first Grand Challenge Workshop, I'm going to cancel this one. The second one on the 28th at the Kirkland Library is still on, though. -- David Schilling (21 years ago, 17-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Grand Challenge Workshops

(...) I haven't received any new requests for the first Grand Challenge Workshop. Is there anyone else interested in attending? Please let me know as soon as possible. Thursday is fast approaching. Also, if anyone has a mini-challenge robot ready (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  WS3D RCX Challenge #6 Results

Last Saturday was the Workshop 3D RCX Challenge #6. As usual, the competition took place in the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. This time the events were Single RIS Line Tracking, Unlimited Line Tracking, Lightweight Sumo, Walking Sumo, and Puck (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us.smart)

  SMART Show at Crossroads Shopping Center

After talking with a bunch of you at WS3D#6 on Saturday I've talked with the marketing manager at Crossroads Shopping Center and we've picked June 28th as the day that SMART will put on a show there. I think that this will be an excellent (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Grand Challenge Workshops

(...) We're fast approaching the time for the first workshop -- this Thursday. I would like to let my pastor friend know whether we'll be taking him up on his kind offer of a classroom in his church or not. So far I have two replies, one of which is (...) (21 years ago, 15-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Move meeting to a weeknight?

I don't know about the rest of you, but attending the meetings on a Saturday is difficult for us, due to other conflicting activites. Has there been any consideration given to having the meeting on a weeknight? If we started at 6:00, the meeting (...) (21 years ago, 14-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Testing for Workshop 3D RCX Challenge

The arena for the 6th Workshop 3D RCX Challenge will be available for testing on Friday at the Pacific Science Center. If you would like to bring your robots down during their regular hours (10am-5pm) to try them out, make improvements, etc., this (...) (21 years ago, 10-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Lego spools/bobbins

Yes, that is the part, and they are blue. (...) (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Lego spools/bobbins

(...) My guess is he means the one shown here: (URL) David Schilling (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Lego spools/bobbins

(...) Mark, not sure which parts you mean here, do you have a pic? Thanks ROSCO (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Lego spools/bobbins

I needed a few of these, so I purchased 40 (!) from Pitsco. If anyone wants some, I'll sell them at my cost of 3/$1. (21 years ago, 8-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Grand Challenge Workshops

I've arranged for a pair of Grand Challenge Workshops. The first is Thursday April 17th, at Newport Hills Community Church 5833 - 119th Ave S.E. Bellevue, WA 98006 The second is Monday April 28th, at Kirkland Library 308 Kirkland Ave. Kirkland, WA (...) (21 years ago, 4-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Lego Geometery Powerpoint slides

On the previous meeting I gave my PowerPoint presentation on Lego Geometry. I finally got around to uploading my PowerPoint file to BrickShelf. This is the same presentation I made at NWBrickCon. (URL) (21 years ago, 3-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: What's up with HiTechnic?

Here's the scoop, from their web site: ** HiTechnic Products ceases manufacture of RCX© Compatible Products ** In the face of a number of difficulties, HiTechnic Products has worked tirelessly to continue to manufacture our complete range of sensors (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  March 2003 SMART Meeting Notes

Yesterday's SMART meeting was awesome. Lots of people brought robots for the rope climbing mini-challenge; there were at least four working Grand Challenge (Figure-8) racers, and a large assortment of other robots as well. I've posted pictures here: (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: March 29th SMART meeting

Brief reminder: the next SMART meeting is tomorrow at the Redmond library (2pm). The mini-challenge is rope-climbing - see previous messages for details. The Grand Challenge arena will also be set up. Hope to see everyone there. Also, don't forget, (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Some Grand Challenge (Figure-8 Racing) Notes

I was working a bit on my Figure-8 racer tonight when I remembered that I had to rebuild it to make the RCX face forward. That prompted me to review the building and programming rules that have been decided on to make this race work. The initial set (...) (21 years ago, 19-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  March 29th SMART meeting

In two weeks we'll be having the next SMART meeting. The time and location will be as usual: room 2 at the Redmond Regional Library, starting at 2pm. The mini challenge is to climb a rope. See the previous message (below) for details. I highly (...) (21 years ago, 16-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  One month notice!

Hello Everyone, I'm forwarding this from Ray's Workshop3D mailing list. If you are interested, make sure you register and get on his mailing list. I don't plan to make a habit of forwarding these emails! If you have not been to one of Ray's RCX (...) (21 years ago, 12-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Workshop 3D Challenge 6

Hello folks, In case you have not heard... the next Workshop3D RCX Challenge has been scheduled for Saturday, April 12! Mostly the events are unchanged from previous RCX challenges with the addition of a Walking Sumo class in the Sumo event. That (...) (21 years ago, 8-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: What's up with HiTechnic?

We ordered some sensors from HiTechnic a few weeks ago and they were shipped out right away with great communications and speedy service. :-] (21 years ago, 4-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Winter mega challenge?

(...) I was thinking IR proximity sensors (HiTechnic). Given the experience I have with them thus far, I think they would work well in the environment described in the rules. I think the final robot would likely require more than one RCX, given the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Winter mega challenge?

(...) This sounds like it could be a good idea for next year. Thanks for suggesting it. We might alternatively consider a "SMART-Team" robot. Any ideas on how to accomplish that? The one thing that would make it quite difficult for Lego robots is (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Finding the rope

(...) The challenge is mainly to start away from the rope, so anything you do to find it and attach youself to it is okay. It would be cool to see a robot be able to find it from a greater distance, or without facing it directly to start with. If (...) (21 years ago, 3-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Winter mega challenge?

I was browsing the Seattle Robotics Club pages and saw the link to the fire fighting robot contest ((URL) is a northwest qualifier event for this held March 15 this year. While it is too late for this year, maybe we could consider this as a mega (...) (21 years ago, 2-Mar-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: What's up with HiTechnic?

(...) I heard rumor (only a rumor, I can't back this up) that the exposure they've gotten from media such as Steve Hassenplug's TV interview has swamped them with orders. Perhaps John can confirm. If true, that's a real testament to the demand out (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  What's up with HiTechnic?

Anyone know what is going on with them? They've been "reorganizing production" for a while now, long enough that I am wondering if there is something else going on. Plus there was someone selling custom sensors on eBay a while ago, which looked like (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Finding the rope

We've built a couple rope climbing robots, but both assume they are started pointed pretty much directly at the rope. One of them does a little searching to make sure it is lined up accurately, where as the other one gathers the rope in (...) (21 years ago, 25-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Figure 8 Vehicle number

David, Sorry to address this here, but I don't know how to get past your spam blocker. Can you provide me with a broadcast number for myself and another one for Joseph? We are working (struggling) with programming and hope to each produce an entry. (...) (21 years ago, 23-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Re: Rope crossing mini-challenge?

(...) And maybe bonus points for shooting the rope across the gap first 8?) ROSCO (21 years ago, 8-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Rope crossing mini-challenge?

As I was working on the rope climbing mini-challenge, I got thinking that another rope-related mini-challenge that might be interesting is making a robot that can cross between two tables via a rope. Maybe have multiple levels of difficultly, like (...) (21 years ago, 8-Feb-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  Rope Climbing

As promised, here are the details about the next mini-challenge: rope climbing. Build a robot that starts 12" away from a dangling rope, moves towards it, and climbs it so that the robot raises itself at least 12" above the ground. The rope will be (...) (21 years ago, 31-Jan-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  4H State Technology Conference

Hi Everyone, I have been asked by Wendy Lewis, the leader of a 4H Technology club in Everett, to bring some robots to display/demo at a technology conference that they are hosting. Unfortunately, I can make it and besides, most of my RCX's are going (...) (21 years ago, 29-Jan-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

  January 2003 SMART Meeting Notes

Today's meeting was the 2nd anniversary of SMART. A quick show of hands revealed that between half and two thirds of the people attending today's meeting have been attending for two years! We also have a lot of new people coming in -- while today's (...) (21 years ago, 26-Jan-03, to lugnet.org.us.smart)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact