Subject:
SMART Robotic Marvel
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:46:44 GMT

SMART Robotic Marvel
A LEGO Mindstorms Display and Kids Robotic Competition

SMART's robot display and kids competition at Crossroads Shopping Center was
tremendously fun! We had a ton of robots, using over 40 RCXs, a half dozen
scouts, some microscouts and several battery powered devices such as cog
walkers, and pneumatic contraptions. I don't think I've ever seen so many RCXs
in one spot before! Lots of competition robots were displayed: line trackers,
puck gatherers, sumo and maze robots. Lots of our mini-challenge robots were
also on display. And there were also a bunch of new robots that people built
just for the show! Hundreds of people stopped by to see our robots, talk with
us, and ask questions about LEGO and Mindstorms.

In the afternoon we had two robot competitions for kids. The first was a tug of
war. Robots had to grab a rope in the first five seconds, and then after that
could start pulling. The second competition was edge tracking - similar to line
tracking, but with a large irregular shape that had to be traversed clockwise.

I've posted some pictures I took here:

I want to thank everyone who participated. First of all, for the many robots
displayed: Gus Jansson, Mark Kenworthy, Martin Daniels, Doug Bell and Joe
Aguirre, as well as anyone else who's name I've forgotten.

Second, thanks to the kids who participated in the robotic competitions!

For the Tug of War competition, Sean Kenworthy came in first, Austin Crow and
Matthew Strombom together built a robot which came in second, and Lennart
Jansson's robot came in third.

For the edge tracking competition, Matthias Handler came in first, Lennart
Jansson came in second, and Kyle Thompson came in third.

Congratulations, everyone!

Finally, I'd like to thank Lynn and the rest of the staff at Crossroads Shopping
Center who provided a great location, helped tremendously with all the setup and
publicity, and even provided prizes for the kids! Thank you!

--
  David Schilling