Subject:
July 26th SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 13 Jul 2003 02:58:35 GMT

In two weeks SMART will be having its next meeting at the Redmond Library, room
2 at 2pm.

The mini-challenge this time is to build a robot that can cross from one table
to another on a taunt rope. You won't be told ahead of time how far the tables
are apart, but a good guess would be 6 to 8 feet. If you would like to be
challenged even more, have it go back and forth, stopping on both tables, and
for an ultra challenge, see if you can do it with the center of gravity above
the rope the whole time. If you would like a lesser challenge, don't worry about
getting up onto the far table, just try to get to it.

Coming up very soon (the weekend after our next meeting in September) will be
the NWBrickCon 2003. So this current meeting will be the only one that we'll
have to be able to make any long-term plans for what we'll show and do at this
convention. If you have any ideas, bring them to the meeting, or post them in
this group. And if you have any robots that you'd like to show off, get them
ready too! We'll have a nice display there, with plenty of people coming through
to see our robots, which were a tremendous hit at the first NWBrickCon.

Last year SMART put on a display of dancing robots for NWBrickCon. This was
quite fun and attracted a lot of interest. It was the first time we'd ever done
something where robots built by different people had to cooperate. For this
year's NWBrickCon, after our show at Crossroads, a few of us had an idea of
building robots that interacted with each other through use of crates. This is
very open ended as to what you can do, and should also be a lot of fun. The idea
will be explained more at the July meeting, and a specification will be written
up and posted here after the meeting. This will be the mini-challenge for the
September meeting, and then we'll use the robots again the following weekend for
the show. There might also be a good opportunity to use the robots the day after
our September meeting.

If you want to start thinking a bit about this, here's an example of the crates
we're talking about:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/David/SMART/Samples/10x10crate.gif

--
  David Schilling