Re: SMART Robotic display at Crossroads Shopping Center - Feb 28th
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 04:36:54 GMT

Today we had an AWESOME show at Crossroads Shopping Center! We had a new Crate
Contraption with 10 RCXs, and dozens of other robots besides being displayed.

The Kids competition was good too. There were 8 competitors in the Tug of War.
Robots paired off against each other, with a rope strung between them. They had
5 seconds to grab the rope before pulling, and the remainder of a minute to see
who could pull the other across the center-line. Here are the results:

1st: Sean (BumbleBee)
2nd: James
3rd: Patrick
     Sean (Blue)
     Jonathan
     Lisa
     Yevgeniy
     Michael

Everyone did a great job! Many of the matches were very evenly matched. Thanks
also to Lisa for doing an awesome job announcing during the event!

For edge tracking we had two competitors. The object was to see how many laps a
robot could do in 1 minute. The best of two attempts counted. Sean's robot did 5
9/10th laps, and Patrick's did 3 1/2. Patrick built his robot in the ten to
fifteen minutes prior to the competition just so Sean would have someone to
challenge him. After the competition he made a few more changes and would really
have given Sean a run for his money! On the other hand, Sean is only 6 years
old, and built his robot in the car on a long trip, so Patrick will probably
have rather a hard competitor himself in a couple of years!

Congradulations and thanks to everyone who participated!

Also a special thanks to everyone who brought robots. Jonathan, Doug Bell,
Barton Place, Gus Jansson, and especially Mark Kenworthy who provided almost the
entire Crate Contraption by himself! Apologies if I missed anyone.

--
  David Schilling