Subject:
July mini-challenge - Rope crossing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 00:29:13 GMT

Ah, those deceptively simple challenges!  This one is proving to be more
challenging than I initially thought!  After a fair amount of work, Sean and I
each have a robot put together for the rope crossing challenge.  Sean's starts
on the rope and just goes back and forth between the tables (good junior
challenge).  Mine (design #2, iteration #5 or so...) does the full challenge,
but I would not call it "robust".  It works, starting up on the table,
traversing the rope up onto the other table, and back again, but not easily.

My first design was attempted to do the challenge with the CG above the rope,
but I could not get that to work.  It would have required much more motor power
than is available from the standard Lego components.  I'm hoping David, Gus, or
one of the other members will show us how to make one that does that.

I've got an idea for another CG below the rope design that might be more robust,
so if I find enough time between now and the meeting, I'll try to get that one
together.

How are other people doing with this one?