Subject:
SMART Show at Crossroads Shopping Center
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 03:05:06 GMT

After talking with a bunch of you at WS3D#6 on Saturday I've talked with the
marketing manager at Crossroads Shopping Center and we've picked June 28th
as the day that SMART will put on a show there.

I think that this will be an excellent opportunity to show the public what
can be done with Lego robots, and a wonderful way for people who participate
to get some good feedback for all the work they've put into their robots.

What will we show? For starters, it would be really great to see some of the
robots that we've recently built there. For instance, the people who built
walking sumo robots -- these would be a great attention getter! Even if they
weren't doing 'sumo' against each other! The varieties of walking mechanisms
were so numerous! Doug Bell's 12-legged, 4-on-the-floor robot; Lennart's
robot with a middle part that alternated with the legs and had that cool
rotating mechanism, the six-legged robots by Gus Jansson, Dave Fischer,
Martin Daniels, and Michael Sloan, as well as Joe's 4-legged walker. I hope
you guys can keep your robots together for a few months and show them off there!

Other robots that would be cool to see, that you might already have built
are some line trackers, wheeled sumo bots, rope climbers, puck gatherers,
token finders, and hopefully there will be several figure-8 racers and
Maxwell's Demons robots to show as well!

A final class of robots would be ones that you've just built for the fun of
it. Gus's helicopter or my swinging robot, for instance. I'm sure there are
many more. These could be coolest of all because there are no constraints on
them but your imagination. If you have something you've already built, or
something you've always wanted to build, now's the chance! The deadline is
sufficiently far away that you could build almost anything. Think about it.
Start building!

I'm hoping that a significant fraction of the regular attendees of SMART
will be willing to participate in this event. Dropping off robots will be
appreciated, but even better would be if you could spend a few hours giving
demos, and just explaining your robots to the public that comes by. While
the hours we'll be there are likely going to be something like 10am to 5pm,
if you could be there for two or three hours, that would be a great help,
and you'll also see a lot of appreciation from the public. It makes all
those nights you've tinkered with your robots worthwhile! Naturally anyone
willing to spend more time there wouldn't be turned down. :-)

I would like a few people to help organize and run this event. If you are
willing to put in a few hours between now and then, helping figure out what
we'll do, take care of all the details, etc., then please get in touch with me.

Finally, for publicity purposes, it would be nice to have a catchy name for
this event. If you have ideas, please share them. This is the one thing that
we need to finish soonest, so that it can go in various calendars and
publicity sources.

Thanks!

--
  David Schilling