Subject:
May 22nd SMART Meeting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Fri, 7 May 2004 01:51:46 GMT

In just over two weeks we'll have our next SMART meeting. The mini-challenge is
to build a robot that satisfies some or all of the gap crossing/cube gathering
requirements from the last Workshop 3D RCX Challenge competition.

The rules for the competition are posted (towards the bottom of the page)here :
<http://www.workshop3d.com/rcx/challenge8.htm>, but as with almost all our
events, we're not approaching this from a competition point of view, rather just
to see how much you can do. So don't feel pressured to do everything; this is a
touch challenge! First of all you have a line-following challenge with not only
a gap in the line but actually a piece of the table missing. Secondly there are
'T' intersections at the ends of the line that you need to detect and turn
around at. Third, you have the challenge of finding the cubes without pushing
them off the table, and fourth, trying to pick them up. Finally you have the
challenge of dropping lots of cubes off in a narrow area without pushing them
off the table. Pick one or two of these sub-challenges to work on first, and
when you do those well, try for another one.

I'm looking forward to seeing many innovative solutions at our meeting!

--
  David Schilling