 Robotics / 20769
20768  |  20770
Subject:
Prospect of household robotics is good
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 03:14:16 GMT

While not mentioning LEGO Mindstorms, there's a column in the June
Technology Review about how robotics is finally seeming to take hold in the
world, and we might see, over the next years and decades real robots doing
"real things"(tm) in the house. The reason? "The technology has finally
acquired that vital human ingredient that has made a number of similar
industries possible: hobbyists and enthusiasts." Hey, that's us!

You can read a bit of the column here:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/schrage0603.asp
but you need to subscribe to read the whole thing. Or pick up the magazine
somewhere. Basically the rest of the column draws a parallel between people
who once used Heathkits or Altairs, and how electronics and PCs then became
very popular, useful and pervasive. The same thing happened earlier with
photography and radio. Now it seems to be happening with robotics. Yeah for
LEGO Mindstorms! Now all we have to do is convince them to release RIS 3.0
with more sensors, outputs, memory, etc.!

--
  David Schilling