 Robotics / 20608
20607  |  20609
Subject:
WS3D RCX Challenge #6 Results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.events, lugnet.org.us.smart
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 23:09:52 GMT

Last Saturday was the Workshop 3D RCX Challenge #6. As usual, the
competition took place in the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. This time
the events were Single RIS Line Tracking, Unlimited Line Tracking,
Lightweight Sumo, Walking Sumo, and Puck Gathering.

The winners were:
Jeff Bowden - Single RIS Line Tracking
David Schilling (*1) - Unlimited Line Tracking
Aaron Goodman - Lightweight Sumo
Martin Daniels - Walking Sumo
Barton Place - Puck Gathering

The Walking Sumo event was new, and quite interesting to watch. I'm sure it
must have been quite challenging to build a robot for this event!
Congradulations to everyone who participated in that, and especially to
Martin Daniels for winning.

The other event I wanted to mention is Puck Gathering, where Barton Place
picked up an astonishing 187 pucks in three rounds! WOW! I think that will
be a standing record for a long, LONG time! (There were 99 pucks in the
arena each round.)

For pictures of the various events, start here:

Thanks to Ray for putting on this competition! Also thanks to the judges and
score keepers for a job well done, the sponsors for the prizes, and the
Pacific Science Center for providing the location.

--
  David Schilling

Note 1: Yes, that's me, but I have to admit that I used Steve Hassenplug's
robot from two competitions ago along with his code, but also with old
batteries. I was *quite* surprised to win, as Steve himself had a new robot
with fresh batteries. I just wanted to see how the two compared.