 Off-Topic / Fun / 1143
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 23:38:38 GMT

Steven Vore writes:
I used to work at the reservations for a major-chain hotel.  Same thing.
Always overbook based on a percentage (which varies due to day of the week,
holidays, phase of the moon, and who knows what other factors that might
predict no-shows) and keep a listing of other area hotels handy in the odd
even that everyone arrives.  Belive me, we rarely had to bump anyone...
maybe our percentage-guesser was better than that of the airlines.

--
Steven | svore at mindspring .com | kf4fbk | TC++MS++#15LS+M+HalYB64m

This reminded me of my "twilight zone" trip two years ago - driving across the
states as a vacation(1) ended up hitting Minneapolis fairly late - tried to
get a room and to misuse a quote "there were none to be found" after trying
about 8 hotels/motels ,we decided to just hit the road, and get one at the
next town - Nope.  Everything was full on a line from Minneapolis straight
through to Albany (and a couple hours past).  We didn't actually get a room
until after someone checked out at the last place we tried.

1: Yes, I have a strange concept of vacation. ;)

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/