 Off-Topic / Fun / 1131
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 1999 01:35:21 GMT

Yes, see for example this headline from last week's Atlanta
Journal/Constitution - "OVERBOOKED: Delta 'denied' 13,449: Atlanta air
carrier ranks seventh among U.S. airlines" During the past year(?) they had
to turn that many people involuntarily.

They overbook by a certain percentage because they know that a percentage
won't show. When everyone (or at least more than there are seats on the
plane) does show, they ask for volunteers.  If, after that, they still have
too many people, they look for Larry so they can bump him ;-)

I used to work at the reservations for a major-chain hotel.  Same thing.
Always overbook based on a percentage (which varies due to day of the week,
holidays, phase of the moon, and who knows what other factors that might
predict no-shows) and keep a listing of other area hotels handy in the odd
even that everyone arrives.  Belive me, we rarely had to bump anyone...
maybe our percentage-guesser was better than that of the airlines.

--
Steven | svore at mindspring .com | kf4fbk | TC++MS++#15LS+M+HalYB64m