 Off-Topic / Debate / 639
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:37:46 GMT

Naji Norder wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I shan't respond to your antiprivatization rantings except to say that
privatization always works.

I can't agree with this.  Privatization does not work when profit should
not be the ultimate goal.  Consider Aramark.  Aramark took over the
dining services at UT last year.  They have indeed done wonders to
improve the profitability of the dining program.  One used to be able to
buy a 40 cent cup of generic coffee, a 60 cent bagel, a 60 cent scoop of
ice cream, and 40 cent sausage biscuit.  Now, thanks to their
"improvements," one can only buy $1.50 cup of Starbucks (R), $1.29
deluxe bagel, $2.39 scoop of Ben & Jerry's (R) ice cream (Aramark is the
only distributer in the area, they are proud to boast), and a $1.79
deluxe (4 times as large) sausage biscuit.  The problem is that students
have a fixed amount on money that they are required to spend at dining
facilities.  A student should have the option to purchase a 40 cent cup
of store brand coffee when they don't have the option of going anywhere
else, and a deluxe sausage biscuit is no better if one can only eat 1/4
of it anyway.
The privatization of the food service at UT has simply put one more
thing between the university and the students that it supposedly exists
for.  (Don't let me get started on the athletic program.)

I'm sorry. You weren't listening when I said that any so called
"privatization failure" can be explained by analysing and demonstrating
why it wasn't really privatization.

You proved my point. You have given an example of a replacement of one
monopoly with another. In what way was that a privatization? You
apparently, as a condition of going to UT, are FORCED to spend money at
an establishment without having a choice. If anything, I would say that
you are LESS privatized than before. The fact that a company got the
monopoly concession rather than a government agency is irrelevant.

What are the barriers to entry to food service at UT? Infinite. How can
you opt out of this agreement, other than by not going to UT (which is a
government funded school, so you're paying for it as are all taxpayers,
whether you go or not)?

Please try a **LITTLE** harder, eh? :-)

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.