 Off-Topic / Debate / 681
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:19:03 GMT

The very
fact that you point out that responsible journalists (though sometimes
it seems an oxymoron) can't print information known to be true for
editorial reasons (I assume that's what you mean) is a large part of
Media's problem.

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA

No, I mean that they can't print the information because it wouldn't make it
through the legal department - it would draw dozens of libel suits.  And
although libel suits _are_ a necessary side-effect of any good journalism (my
parents have testified in many of them), a journalist has to pick the battles
that can be won.  The Fort-Worth Star-Telegram ran a series a few years back on
the business practices of Ross Perot, Jr.  (The funny man's son.)  The series
DID draw a libel suit, but since the paper only published the simple stuff, it
was defended easily.  The stuff that my parents told me about, if it could have
been proven, might have put him in jail.  But the people who provided that
information had either died or been too intimidated by others to ever want to
testify, and if they think that they might have to show up in court someday,
they would never give the information in the first place.

Perot made billions by owning all the land near the new industrial airport in
north Fort Worth - land that he acquired by less than honorable (and
occasionally less than legal - though I didn't say this (don't sue me!)) means.

There's a lot of similar stuff.

Naji
n (dot) norder (at) computer (dot) org