 Off-Topic / Debate / 665
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:24:37 GMT

<36EAE2D3.5DECD9C@voyager.net> <36EB0747.F21DAC91@computer.org>

Naji Norder wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

as declued as the media.

The media isn't as clueless as you might think.  Both of my parents have
been in the (print) media at times (my mother is now), and they (and I)
know a lot of stuff about things that they CAN'T print in the newspaper.

Note that I do agree almost completely with you in regards to broadcast
media.  I do my best to only watch PBS.

There are individuals who work in the media who are with clue, but I
agree with Larry.  _The Media_ as a whole is without clue.  The very
fact that you point out that responsible journalists (though sometimes
it seems an oxymoron) can't print information known to be true for
editorial reasons (I assume that's what you mean) is a large part of
Media's problem.

That said, I work for and attend the university housing the big good
J-school in the midwest and am exposed to journalism students more that
I care to be and it is my observation that the majority of them on an
individual basis are also without clue.

--
My $.02  (obviously, not my institution's),

Christopher L. Weeks
central Missouri, USA