 Off-Topic / Fun / 1094
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 8 Mar 1999 03:19:43 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote:
Yes, but dirt, wet, straps torn off, scratches, or rips in the material
are all "normal wear and tear", so, **essentially**, no.

I would think that if you forced an airline employee to sign a receipt
for your luggage stating that it had none of those things that if you
get it back with damage you can demonstrate that it wasn't nomral wear
and tear YOU caused.

I've tried. They won't. You can waste lots of time trying, though. Also,
it doesn't matter the cause, the point is that they claim that rips THEY
cause are part of the luggage "protecting its contents" process and
therefore normal. Therefore I carry on because I am then master of the
fate of the luggage. When airline employees try to make me check things
because there aren't enough bins I point this out. At length. It
typically does not make them happy, but I usually can get it stowed in
first class.

However, let me point out that all this seething discontent usually
roils beneath the surface. My public demeanor to employees, who are
implementing policy, after all, is usually quite pleasant. This is a
good strategy because I have several times been bumped from flights and
just smiled. The guy next to me who started in on them gets nothing, I
get a travel voucher. I have gotten over 3000 worth of travel vouchers
by smiling at misfortune. My travails this weekend (I didn't get home
till 9 PM saturday) netted me 500 from NorthWest.

--
Larry Piniazek    http://my.voyager.net/lar
Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to