 Off-Topic / Fun / 1088
1087  |  1089
Subject:
Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:44:38 GMT

Whew, you pressed a hot button there.

Two points. First, on carryon: Airlines need to make their bins bigger.
I am a business traveler. I am often paying 5 and 10 times as much as
the leisure traveler because I had to make my arrangements at the last
minute. Even when my fares are closer to the leisure rates, I and the
rest of the business travelers are the reason the airlines make money.
We are their bread and butter. Leisure travelers are there just to fill
up the leftover seats.

I am in a hurry and every minute counts. Every minute I can save is a
minute I can either be spending with my family or adding value to my
clients or hanging with my Lego buddies or even sleeping.

My attitude is that I have PAID for that bin space and the people who
are paying significantly less can just check their luggage and stay the
heck out of my way for all I care. I will use every rule and advantage
available to me to ensure that I get on the plane as early as possible
to make sure I get that bin space first. And when I am ready to get off,
I am in the biggest hurry of all. I ALWAYS get an aisle seat if I can. I
RESENT people who are not in a hurry and dawdle around. If you're not
ready to go when the guy in front of you starts moving, DON'T be in the
aisle blocking me, because I WILL have my stuff together and ready to
go, or I won't be in the aisle blocking the guy behind me. I'll run over
your toes with my bag if you won't get out of my way and I won't even
stop to say I'm sorry.

As for checked... I HATE it when I have to check something. I know that
at best, I am in for a delay. Sometimes a substantial delay to the tune
of having to come back the next day. I know that my luggage is going to
get tossed around unfeelingly. Anything inside is much more likey to be
damaged. The luggage itself is more likely to come back wet, dirty,
scuffed, or even damaged. If I ask for gentle handling, I get no
satisfaction. All I get to do is sign a waiver.

So don't get me started about luggage.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.