 Off-Topic / Debate / 643
Re: Carryon vs. checked (Re: WTB: 6557 (really, really badly) and 6861
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 16:14:11 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 04:32:33 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net>
wrote:

Steve Bliss wrote:

Side note:  you can also "fly on stand-by", which means you're the first
to go if there isn't enough room.  It's cheaper than regular tickets,
but I'm not sure by how much.  Or if you get less compensation if you
are bumped to a later flight.

I never fly on standby unless it's leisure and I don't care when I get
there. But I usually do care, so I never fly on standby. If you don't
get on, you get NO compensation. That's why it's called "standby" :-)

But you do get a later flight (still stand-by, of course)?  Or do you
just go nowhere?

Eventually you will get where you are going. But you will have to wait
until there is a flight that has seats available and all the "more
senior" standbys have went. Theoretically, with perfect yield
management, there never would be seats available and you never would go.
Not likely to happen, though.

During weather incidents, with some cancellations and the usual mad
rebooking scramble, many flights can go by before you get to go.

Stop the FDIC from spying on us! Go to
http://www.defendyourprivacy.com and sign the petition.
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.