 Off-Topic / Fun / 1130
Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 23:30:31 GMT

Don't get me started on the cost of 3d accelerators.  :)  As an early
adopter I paid $600 for my 2 12mb voodoo2 cards.  Now the same thing
can be had for less than $250, I think.  'Course, I got 9 months or so
of use out of them.

I.e. you were picking off people from a distance before most people had
a "distance" from which to be picked off. :)

been talking with a guy over in NGO's forums, who implied that something
even better than Metabyte's PGP will be announced at next week's Game
Developer Conference).

That would be sweet, although I'm really looking forward to dual TNT2.

You and me BOTH. I've been holding off on buying a new computer for a
*long* time, and this might be the thing that puts me over the top. I'm
shooting for a new 'puter in July/August.

As an aside, MSI is now producing a slotkit converter for the
socket370 celeron (lets it work in a slot 1 board) that has a single
jumper on it that allows you to enable dual processors.  :)  No
soldering required, just a jumper.  :)  Intel's gotta hate it.

Even if I we don't OC, dual 400 Celerons can probably be had for quite
a bit less than a single p2-400.  :)

I wasn't real big on dual processor setups, since Win '95 didn't
support them. But one of this summer's projects for me is to dive into
linux. If I can find a dual-slot1 motherboard with 6 PCI slots, I might
very well go for a dual-CPU Celeron rig. That would be a lotta fun....
The 6 PCI slots is the priority. Gimme a 6 PCI slot motherboard with a
stable 133mhz bus and USB. That's all I want. No AGP, no ISA, no serial
or parallel ports. Just 6 PCI and a good 133 mhz bus and something easy
to plug stuff into. So far I've found a TMG and a Tyan board with 6
slots, but neither can do 133. I'd go with the K7, but it looks like
it's going to cost a fortune. I believe in cheap 'puters. :)

Adam

bwappo@ee.net