 Off-Topic / Fun / 1173
Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 20:33:40 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote:

Jasper Janssen <jasper@janssen.dynip.com> wrote:
On Fri, 12 Mar 1999 04:25:04 GMT, Adam Yulish <bwappo@ee.net> wrote:

     You're correct about the former, and I believe Mike was referring to
the latter. I've no idea about the specs for the Sun, but I'm inclined
to believe that they'll be in a different chart from his desktop Celeron
450. :)

No doubt. Mike? You using Sun Enterprises at work? How many gigs ram,
how many CPUs, how many terabytes storage & how many petabytes backup
tape library? ;)

Oh, I don't use any of those machines as my personal machine.  :)

I honestly meant the PSX2 wouldn't beat MY machine - a 450 with dual
3d accelerators.  And I stick by that.  It won't beat it
resolution-wise (why make a console that can do 1024x768 when most
TV's can't even display half that?).  It won't beat it storage-wise
(writeable or otherwise).

Even if it does beat my current machine when it comes to pure
pixel-pushing power, by the time it comes out here in the US I will be
running something even more powerful, probably with some type of dual
TNT2 3d solution.

I own a PlayStation, and the only thing that I have to add to Computer v.
Console, is that Console is about 1/10 the price of a computer.

So, dollar for dollar, a Console will be tops.  As well, the games seem
to be a bit cheaper than the computer counterparts.  The drawback is
no networking, but that will be remedied by the PSX2.

As far as the PSX2 ... $250 - $400 will be a deal, considering that it
(hopefully) will do PSX2 games, PSX games, CD audio (big deal), and
DVD movies.

No matter what, a console will never beat a computer with no budget limit.

Unfortuantely, I do have a budget ...

--
Lee Jorgensen, Programmer/Analyst - Bankoe Systems, Inc.
mailto:jorgensen@bankoe.moc  <-- reverse moc