 Off-Topic / Fun / 1048
1047  |  1049
Subject:
Sony unveils Playstation 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 20:59:24 GMT

RPGamer <http://www.rpgamer.com/> just posted an article on the Playstation 2.
Some highlights of what was reported (paraphrased of course) follows.

The Playstation 2 will use DVD media (it can play DVD movies and music, too!)
and will be backwards compatible with media and peripherals.  At the
PlayStation 50 Millionth Party, several demos were shown, including the Squall
and Rinoa Dance scene from Final Fantasy VIII (rendered in real-time) and the
Final Fantasy Movie's "elderly gentleman" (rendered and manipulated in
real-time).
    The PSX2 chipset consists of a 128bit, 300 MHz CPU and a 128bit, 150 MHz
GPU.  The development operating system is said to be Linux.  Apparently, the
Playstation 2 can communicate with electronic devices, including computers and
digital cameras, using USB and PCMCIA cards.
    The Japanese Playstation 2 release is scheduled for Winter '99, and the US
release in second quarter 2000.  Rumors price the console between US$250 and
US$400

For the full report, go to <http://www.rpgamer.com/>

Jeff