 Off-Topic / Fun / 1124
Re: Sony unveils Playstation 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 17:15:08 GMT

Adam Yulish <bwappo@ee.net> wrote:
It used to flip-flop back and forth ever since the Atari days, but with
the advent of the 3D accelerator, I'm inclined to agree. No console will
ever catch up to a computer again, technology wise. Of course, if the
PSX will do HDTV, and has USB and firewire ports along with a PCMCIA
slot, the $400 max pricetag vs. the $1500 computer may be a very
interesting issue.

Yeah, but you don't HAVE to spend $1500 to get a computer that will
play games better than any console anymore, especially when you remove
the price of the monitor (which you should, since you can't play a
console without a tv).

I built my Celeron 300a/450 with 128mb for $519.  That didn't include
HD or CD since I had extras of those, but even figuring in another
$250 for those (more than you'd have to spend to get 5 gigs and a
decent cd, which is what I have in that machine) you're barely pushing
$800.

Still a lot more than $400, though.  Although decent little eMachines
can be had for $400.

http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/
800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 (S@H Canada)
www.lugnet.com/news/ - Focused discussion groups for LEGO fans worldwide