 Off-Topic / Debate / 9541
Re: Stuff (Was: some other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:49:38 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

And another pet hate is people who type an acronym, then write the meaning
after it! Why not just leave the acronym out altogether?

ROSCO

LMKWYT (Let Me Know Wh....Oh, poop)

The point is to explain the acronym the first time you use it, then just
re-use the acronym where it needs to be repeated.  It's actually required by
the guidelines for government writing in the UK (or was that an Official
Secret?  Damn, I can never remember).

Sure. I can see the point if you do this and you're gonna use it multiple times
*within a single document* (lawyers do it all the time!), and you can even do
it using a glossary. What I detest is people who use an acronym *ONCE* and
follow it with the definition! Why not just leave out the acronym altogether?

ROSCO