 Off-Topic / Fun / 6851
Re: NOT the Queen's English
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 17:16:14 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:
supposably

Wait!  Where does this word come from?  I once saw an episode of "Friends"
where the character "Joey" uses this word as though it were correct. Were
they actually making fun of an east coast regional dialect?

What makes this especially intriguing to me is that where I work we actually
make a game of correcting the pronounciation of people who *ARE* in fact
saying the word correctly -- that is to say, we assert that the
mispronounced "supposably" is the correct pronounciation of the word
"supposedly"!!!  What kills us is that most people will go with it for a few
minutes before realizing that we are just messing with them.

O, the fun we have...

--Hop-Frog