 Off-Topic / Fun / 6932
Re: Stuff (Was: some other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:05:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

Okay, if attorneys general, courts martial and Rolls Royce are plural forms,
shouldn't the plural of AFOL be AF'sOL?  Or are the rules different for
acronyms?

   I have a colleague who wrote a rather good book about the survey
   of India, where he specifically addressed the issue with respect
   to the plural of "Surveyor General." According to orthodoxy
   plural should be "Surveyors General," but he justified his decision
   to call them "Surveyor Generals."  Of course, had he chosen the
   former, no justification would have been necessary!

Rolls-Royce isn't a plural.  The company is named Rolls-Royce, after the
founders, not 'Roll-Royce'.  Foreigners.

   The difference between (or betwixt, if you prefer) "Rolls-Royce"
   and "AFOL" or "Attorney General" is that the latter two include
   other parts of speech in the title--for example, "General" is a
   modifier of the noun "Attorney"; "Adult" and "of Lego" modify
   "Fan." Rolls-Royce, on the other hand, is a single noun and must
   be pluralised at the end and *only* at the end (Rolls-Royces, or
   preferably Rolls-Royce Motorcars).  The subject noun in the
   construction--Fans, Attorneys (or Attornies of you prefer),
   Surveyors, or Poets (in Poets Laureate)--is the part that
   becomes plural according to prevailing grammatical rules.

   Does that help?

You raise an interesting etymological point--who determines the "proper"
pluralization?  We're all well aware of the LEGO/Legos issue; while a
manufacturer may wish a certain plural form to be used, what happens if no
one uses it (or if enough people use a different form?) To wit, what *is*
the plural of Rolls-Royce?  And sez who? 8^)

   See above.  The collective plural of LEGO is, after all,
   "LEGO brand bricks and toys" according to the company; thus,
   it may be that Rolls-Royce doesn't *have* a proper plural,
   only the colloquial ones.  A lot of the standards we know today
   only ossified around 1920, however--even in languages other
   than English--so who's to say it won't float again, especially
   with all the new non-native speakers having an influence on
   our language?

   The tyranny of the majority, however, can change almost anything.
   How many of us make Xeroxes or receive Fedexes?  (Federals Express?)
   *Man*, is the English language ever fun!  I love it.

   best

   Lindsay