 Off-Topic / Debate / 9531
Re: Stuff (Was: some other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:51:13 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

And another pet hate is people who type an acronym, then write the meaning
after it! Why not just leave the acronym out altogether?

ROSCO

LMKWYT (Let Me Know Wh....Oh, poop)

The point is to explain the acronym the first time you use it, then just
re-use the acronym where it needs to be repeated.  It's actually required by
the guidelines for government writing in the UK (or was that an Official
Secret?  Damn, I can never remember).

Okay, if attorneys general, courts martial and Rolls Royce are plural forms,
shouldn't the plural of AFOL be AF'sOL?  Or are the rules different for
acronyms?

Maggie C.

Rolls-Royce isn't a plural.  The company is named Rolls-Royce, after the
founders, not 'Roll-Royce'.  Foreigners.

Oh, and while I'm here that 'All your base' stuff - some friends of a friend
recently stood behind Richard Blackwood on MTV Europe, and held up some 'All
your base are belong to us' signs behind the window of the London studio.
Blackwood's response: "It's crack.  Stay off the drugs!" (Got an MPEG
somewhere...).

Jason J Railton

Jason J Railton