 Off-Topic / Debate / 9475
Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:33:10 GMT

   My God, header frenzy!:

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Santosh Bhat writes:
Is that metal Aloomenum (which I'm sure Americans are keeping secret from
the rest of the world) actually useful for anything?

Santosh

How else would you pronounce aluminum?  Can't be five syllables with only
four vowels.  ;-)

Except on most periodic tables, you'll see it spelt "Aluminium". Most
dictionaries list one as a variant of the other.

ROSCO

Hmmmm, well, my father-in-law - who has has multiple degrees in chemistry
from Cal Tech and teaches chemistry - spells it aluminum.  Nyahh, nyahh,
nyahh!  :-P

   Sure, those Cal Tech boys can rig up an RF unit to screw with
   the Rose Bowl scoreboard, but can they really spell...?  It's
   like asking someone with a doctorate in pediatrics (paediatrics
   for the ANZAC/UK crowd) to take out your spleen because, well,
   he or she *is* a doctor...

   I thought all chemists simply knew chemical names from the
   two-letter IUPAC-approved designations, anyways.  ;)  Sr-90
   BAD!

And since you note both are listed, it kinda reduces you first comment's
meaningfullness, don't it!  :-)

   Not really--well, at least not the reverse tweak:  "Since
   when is it al-YEW-min-ee-um?  Did you keep forgetting what
   the third letter is?"

Checked the periodic chart over at the micro-biologists' building: Aluminum.
More nyahhs!

Bruce

(of course, since a Brit coined the word...)

   Yes, but see, this all gets back to the heart of the matter,
   the implicit assumptions that [rant coming!]:

   1) British pronunciations, having remained on the Ancient
      Mother Soil, are therefore 'correct' by being 'British.'  This
      is true even when they're obviously the end-products of
      centuries upon centuries of lazy slurring by the illiterate, e.g.,
      'Worcestershire' being pronounced /woostershur/, 'Leicester'
      being /lester/, 'Chiswick' being /chizik/, etc etc (or &c., &c.,),
      ad nauseum, they're 'correct' because it's part of Tradition. [1]
      Same deal with Vincent van Gogh being /van goff/.

   2) "American" ('Muricun) spellings and pronunciations are,
      therefore, the bastardized and internally inconsistent
      leavings of proper English, and not the result of the single
      greatest creolization in history that has created a dialect
      every bit as vibrant and *valid* as that in the United Kingdom,
      yet one that is still *conversant* with it.  In short, English
      as spoken in the US--which itself varies regionally--is
      somehow invalid because it's a degenerate child language.
      As the Afrikaners hear from the Dutch, and the Dutch from
      the Germans, "Your language is just a derivative of the
      [implicitly superior] original, which we speak."  Hogwash,
      in spite of all the Frieslander jokes floating about on this
      part of the Continent.

   3) The grammar and spelling used in the USA are quite often new
      creations or shortcuts that no proper speaker of English
      would use or has ever used, e.g., 'got' and sticking "z" (or zed,
      if you want to be correct) into things.  First of all, 'got' may
      have fallen into disuse (or out of use, as we say in the US) in
      the UK, but it was very common in the eighteenth century
      and before.  As for -ise/-ize (and -our/-or and the -t and -en
      past tense conjugations [2]), I've been looking through tons of
      official letters in the last two months in the archives of two
      of Britain's most prestigious Learned Societies--the Royal
      Society and the Royal Geographical Society--and the British
      spellers don't have a consensus on these matters as late as 1920!
      I was taken aback to see Lord Aberdeen spelling out 'favor'
      and 'harmonize,' or the Scot Sir David Gill spelling 'polarize,'
      but I suppose that's because of Tradition.

   4) The above are true even when the practitioners of the
      United States [6] dialect outnumber all other native speakers of
      English in the world.  It's part of the old Imperial mind-
      set that still lurks in the national psyche, the idea
      that England's progeny should pay some kind of homage
      and elevate the Mother Country above themselves willingly,
      as a grateful child should a parent.  (This mindset was
      originally more than just language--the Commonwealth as
      it exists today was in fact less ambitious than the original
      schemes for Imperial Federation, which could not guarantee
      that Britain would remain at its head without making this
      point statuatory or based on the nebulous concept of race--
      which would have destroyed it.  Imperial Defence schemes
      had the same basic failings until the really populous chunks
      like India and South Africa were out of the picture after
      1947/8.)  In this category of ungrateful, petulant children,
      who can possibly out-do the original Rebels, the United
      States?  It's not at all coincidence that the joke 'revocation
      of Independence' email floating around was in the form of a
      *royal* edict--imagine if it came with the names of Blair,
      Prescott, and Cook at the bottom instead?  It wouldn't have
      touched such a nerve (funny or otherwise) then, I reckon.
      It's an act of high Imperial Britain, not modern bureaucratic
      Britain.

   I'm certainly not going to say that everyone holds the above
   mindset.  But it exists as an undercurrent in print and on radio
   and TV in the UK--and USians can't help by either turning the other
   cheek and tacitly affirming the beliefs or by becoming combative and
   defensive and thus cementing the image that we're all violence-
   doped Yahoos (as opposed to Huoyhnhnms, who can't get their hooves
   around the trigger anyways?).  There's no way out against such
   an institutional mindset--we're an easy target, as the biggest
   kid on the block, and we suffer our own inferiority complex because
   we've long held a European sense of history and culture to be ideal,
   yet have no way to get said same (without moving it to the US, like
   the Cloisters on Manhattan Island[3]).  So in a sense, USians aid
   and abet [4] the British Imperial mindset by accepting this position
   of cultural and intellectual inferiors we've been assigned--anyone
   seen the Polaner's All Fruit commercials lately?  We don't care
   as a general rule because at the end of the day we're still the
   world's single greatest economic and military power and can
   console ourselves with that, at least until our Imperial Age ends.

   Just a little rant on culture and history.  It doesn't affect
   in the slightest my strong Anglophilia or my respect for Britain,
   but it does suggest that this whole 'British versus American English'
   debate is wholly farcical, and that it's viewed almost entirely
   through the lenses of pride and prejudice.  If we wanted to be
   fair, let's vote [5] among all the native speakers of English in
   the world on whose language standards should be canonical...but
   then, what qualifies a native speaker if we're not all speaking
   the same language?  ;)

   best,

   Lindsay

   [1] We won't even get into what Londoners do with the name
       'Marylebone.'  How do they manage to extract all the vowels
       and the 'y' from that word without hurting themselves?

   [2] The conjugation issue is a sore one with me, only because
       I rather like complicated conjugations like those for 'shave'
       and 'prove.'  Alas, they've become 'shaved' and 'proved' as
       of late--but 'riven' remains 'riven.'

   [3] I went to visit Shakespeare's Birthplace on Sunday, just to
       see it--here's the true origin of Modern English, no matter
       whose it is--and I had to laugh upon seeing the impetus for
       raising money to buy the house:  a rumour that P.T. Barnum
       wanted to buy it and move it to the United States!  The
       horror!  ;)

   [4] 'aid and abet' is a colloquialization of legalese that is
       itself redundant--how can you abet without aiding, or aid
       without abetting?  But its use implies legal proceeding,
       so I'm using it.  Nyah.

   [5] But keep the counting out of Florida, for goodness sake.
       This rant is about language, not about the ability to run
       a decent election...:)  That's a failing of the US Imperial
       Mindset.

   [6] Inserted late, didn't want to recollate: I try to avoid
       'American' because it implies that the US *is* America.
       Canada, Mexico, and many other countries might disagree.
       But that's part of, yes, the current US Imperial Mindset.