 Off-Topic / Debate / 9429
Re: NOT the Queen's English (was re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 16:37:51 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Thomas Main writes:
Maggie Cambron wrote:

In lugnet.general, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.general, Brad Hamilton writes:
I could care less about people who own the set, want the set, or want to
sell it.

Aaarrrgh!! I don't know who decided "couldn't" should be shortened to
"could" but it seems to have caught on.

I suppose it's possible that you could care less - but I bet you meant you
couldn't care less. Not that I have anything against yan^H^H^H americans,
but you seem to quite regularly do awful things like this to the language.

Hey, I resemble that nasturtium!  I'll have you know that I too cringe when
I hear that phrase (no offense, Brad!).

...can you tell that I could care less about this topic?  A LOT less?

Check out what The American Heritage® Book of English Usage, A Practical
and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English has to say about this
subject:

http://www.bartleby.com/64/C003/078.html

Okay, they have a good argument, but I must say that I've heard the phrase
uttered by a lot of people on whom (IMHO) sarcasm is wasted anyway, so that
explanation is a bit of a stretch for me.

Hey, and remember that song from long ago "Too Much Time on My Hands" (can't
remember who sang it)?  Did this part: "...is it any wonder I'm not crazy...is
it any wonder I'm sane at all..." make sense to anyone?  It has always bothered
me, although it is possible that the writer meant it that way-- I'm just not
familiar with all of the lyrics so I can't be sure.  Maybe he was being
sarcastic... yeah, that's what he was doing....

Maggie