 Off-Topic / Fun / 6849
Re: NOT the Queen's English
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 16:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Maggie Cambron writes:

supposably
libary

  Now that I think of it, there's another western PA-ism (and maybe
elsewhere) in which the speaker drops the "to be" infinitive.  For example,
one might say "the laundry needs washed" rather than "the laundry needs to
be washed" or "the laundry needs washing."  The first few times I heard it I
had no idea what people were even trying to say. It baffled me that the
idiom would even have developed, but then I heard "I yunz guys going to the
store?" and I realized the infinitive issue was just the least of them!

     Dave!