 Off-Topic / Debate / 9447
Re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 22:45:56 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott P. Costello writes:
I suppose it's possible that you could care less - but I bet you meant you
couldn't care less. Not that I have anything against yan^H^H^H americans, but
you seem to quite regularly do awful things like this to the language.

ROSCO

I tend to think here in the "colonies" we have naturally evolved the
language, and thankfully so. I cannot imagine eating "Bangers and Mash" or
"Spotted Dick", or even worse smoking a "fag". I will take a little
linguistic laziness anyday.

Never let it be said that a Strine[1] was adverse to a little "linguistic
laziness", but in this case, it actually changes the entire meaning of the
sentence. Most people know what is actually meant, but it just doesn't make
sense to me, when the correct usage is only a short syllable longer.

And another pet hate is people who type an acronym, then write the meaning
after it! Why not just leave the acronym out altogether?

ROSCO

LMKWYT (Let Me Know Wh....Oh, poop)