 Off-Topic / Fun / 6938
Re: Stuff (Was: some other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:36:39 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Jason J. Railton writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.fun, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:
  The tyranny of the majority, however, can change almost anything.
  How many of us make Xeroxes or receive Fedexes?  (Federals Express?)
  *Man*, is the English language ever fun!  I love it.

But it's only at its best wiv a PROpper INGlish accent mate, nartymean?.
(Coming to Gosport btw?)  Anyway, I've got to hoover the floor...

   I heard someone in outer London last month refer to it as
   needing to "dyson" the floor.  !?!  The man creates one silly
   innovation and suddenly he's a verb.

   [Re: Gosport, it looks like I'll be in the UK, but whether I can
   afford to get there, we'll see.]

And another thing, it's "attendees" that really winds me up.  It's not a
word, and it's the wrong way round - if you pay, you're a 'payer', not a
'payee'.  But no-one wants to be an 'attender' or an 'attendant', and
unfortunately the people pushing out memos to remind you of the voice-mail
about the e-mailed fax inviting you to a video-conference to discuss a
meeting are not the sort to show any concern that they may have just made up
some complete drivel.

   The idea of "attendees" probably has to do with "those who are
   attended to", as you note.  But at the same time, they are attending
   the meeting themselves, so that's not really accurate, and when was
   the last time you were at a meeting where anyone attended to *you*?

Has Dilbert done that one yet?

   I fear most of the reading public wouldn't understand it.

   best

   Lindsay