 Off-Topic / Debate / 9473
Re: Acronyms (Was Re: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:11:35 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Maggie Cambron writes:

Okay, if attorneys general, courts martial and Rolls Royce are plural forms,
shouldn't the plural of AFOL be AF'sOL?  Or are the rules different for
acronyms?

Hmm..  I've heard the phrase "so-and-so drives a Rolls," which is like
saying "so-and-so drives a cars."  Strange.

Oops, I should clarify that Rolls Royce is both the singular and the plural
form.

Maggie C. (who has once again sacrificed clarity for the sake of brevity)

Oh yes, and I shall henceforth use AFOL as the plural of AFOL since your
argument that the F can stand for Fans sounds logical enough.