 Off-Topic / Debate / 9454
9453  |  9455
Subject:
Grammar vs Logic (was: Lugnet Guide a lot less convenient today)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 02:06:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Brad Hamilton writes:
Hey,

Don't blame my country!

I'll accept full blame for my gramatical mistake! :)

Apology accepted! It's just that Ive heard the phrase used hundreds (maybe
thousands) of times, mostly on the 'net, always by Americans...

The funny thing is that I'm usually the one correcting other people's
grammar at work!

The phrase is actually gramatically correct - it's the logic that's incorrect!

Hmm - I guess I must have started using that phrase a long time ago and
nobody ever corrected me.  I bet I never used it in any formal writing at
school and work, so tha's why it has never been caught there.

I do have to grudgingly agree thought that Americans do tend butcher the
language a bit.

Doesn't everyone? 8?)

ROSCO