 Off-Topic / Debate / 9532
Re: Stuff (Was: some other stuff)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 18:19:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason J. Railton writes:

Okay, if attorneys general, courts martial and Rolls Royce are plural forms,
shouldn't the plural of AFOL be AF'sOL?  Or are the rules different for
acronyms?

Rolls-Royce isn't a plural.  The company is named Rolls-Royce, after the
founders, not 'Roll-Royce'.  Foreigners.

  You raise an interesting etymological point--who determines the "proper"
pluralization?  We're all well aware of the LEGO/Legos issue; while a
manufacturer may wish a certain plural form to be used, what happens if no
one uses it (or if enough people use a different form?) To wit, what *is*
the plural of Rolls-Royce?  And sez who? 8^)

     Dave!