 Off-Topic / Debate / 9533
9532  |  9534
Subject:
Plagarism in Fantasy Novels? (was Re: Harry Potter?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:01:47 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark James writes:
In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:
I haven't read any of these cultishly popular books, so I'm in no position
to judge or make other comment, but what do Potter fans make of this:

http://more.abcnews.go.com/sections/gma/goodmorningamerica/gma010320_potter_suit.html

An extremely odd coincidence, at any rate!

The author NK Stouffer's website - www.realmuggles.com - has a list of
infringement examples which includes such uncanny shared attributes as...

mythical place - perhaps those old Greek guys should sue too?
muggle families - what, they *breed*?
muggle village - what, they live in *communities*?
boats travel across lake - hey, *moving* boats?
castle on cliff - wow, no-one's ever thought of building one there before
flagstone floors / great hall - strange things to find in a castle
characters dressed in tights / quill pens and parchment / underground caves
/ and on, and on, and on...

The format was nailed down into a cod-medieval/'age of chivalry' milleau
(with a few Nordic bits and Christian allegory) by Tolkien and the Inklings.
No-one has significantly deviated from this.

I'd say the genre predates Tolkien and co. (see, e.g., _The Worm Ouroboros_ by
E.R. Eddison).  Tolkien is the archetype for much later s&s fantasy--notice
blatent use of orcs (you can barely argue a medieval precedent), his spelling
of dwarfs, etc.

But all this can't be what Bruce was referring to before about _The Sword of
Shannara_ as fantasy plagarism, since that novel is almost unique (in my
experience at least) as being a fantasy novel set on a post-nuclear-apocalyptic
Earth.  On the other hand, I might argue that Terry Brooks plagarizes
*himself*, since his Shannara books get very, very repetitive. . .

TWS Garrison