 Castle / 8229
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:46:08 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

But then, the ultimate in fantasy plaigarism is still around - Sword of
Shanara, so who knows.

Similarly, Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant borrow quite
liberally (as does much modern fantasy) from Tolkien (who himself was a
borrower, after a fashion!)

Borrowing or being inspired by, and out-and-out character-for-character and
scene-for-scene stealing are two different things.  But note Brooks filed
off the serial numbers, so to speak, and changed the names.

  I've only read a little of his stuff (at a friend's urging), and after
ninety years of reading I was still in the first chapter.  Not, for me, the
most engaging prose style.  Regretably (or not), I can't really assess his
plagiarism, but I wouldn't be terribly stunned to learn of it, either!

     Dave!