 Castle / 8224
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 21:19:41 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.castle, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:

I haven't read any of these cultishly popular books, so I'm in no position
to judge or make other comment...

I wouldn't call #1 best-sellers as cultish - fadish, perhaps.

I didn't mean it as insultingly as it probably came across. Think of it
merely as an outsider's perception of an endlessly popular phenomenon.  It's
not a cult, obviously; I mean, it's not Pokemon, for pity's sake!  8^)

I rather enjoyed the Harry Potter books, but then I'm a Tolkien cultist.  :-)

The web site of the author of Larry Potter is extremely self-serving to say
the least (www.realmuggles.com), but she may have a trademark (not
copyright) case.  The lawyers will have a field day, in any case.

I know that none of us is a copyright lawyer, but, if she wins, might
Larry's author be entitled to royalties on all things Potter?  That could
spell zillions and zillions of dollars!

Trademark infringement would most likely get her a piece of the action.

But then, the ultimate in fantasy plaigarism is still around - Sword of
Shanara, so who knows.

Similarly, Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant borrow quite
liberally (as does much modern fantasy) from Tolkien (who himself was a
borrower, after a fashion!)

    Dave!

Borrowing or being inspired by, and out-and-out character-for-character and
scene-for-scene stealing are two different things.  But note Brooks filed
off the serial numbers, so to speak, and changed the names.

Bruce