 Castle / 8264
Re: Disney actually did this with "Lion King"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 01:06:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jonathan Lill writes:
The Kimba the White lion story is a different issue. The movie and TV series
are practically a cultural treasure in Japan and are considered a landmark
in anime and animation worldwide. They are still watched and widely
available on tape. Besides the name similarities the Lion King is very
similar in plot, if different in pictoral style and tone. The two are very
similar. I am not sure but I believe thqat the original creator is dead and
that may be one reason why a lawsuit was not pursued more vigorously. Or
perhaps the copyright has lapsed so there was no legal basis for a claim.
Disney however has strenuously denied the presence of any similarity between
the two in an attempt to define its product as entirely unique  and without
precursor. This is unfair to Disney's animators who are acknowledged fans of
Kimba.

Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Taitei) was created by the undisputed "God of
Manga," Osamu Tezuka.  He single-handedly changed the course of the Manga
industry when he released a comic book in 1947 that was novel length and had
the first "classic" anime styled characters, with large eyes and round heads.
He freely admitted to being inspired by Walt Disney's earliest animated films.
It is a shame that Disney repaid his estate (yes, he is dead) by blatently
ripping off one of his most beloved creations.  Tezuka also created other
classics such as Tesuwan Atom, known in the US as Astro Boy, and Black Jack.

Jeff