 Castle / 8217
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 20:15:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Mark James writes:
The author NK Stouffer's website - www.realmuggles.com - has a list of
infringement examples which includes such uncanny shared attributes as...

***snip of characteristics entirely generic to the fantasy genre***

Yeah, those are some far-fetched claims, to be sure.  But at issue,
according to the ABC article, is the undeniably similar proper names in the
two series rather than broad "I fight the bad guys using magic" themes.

Re the plagiarism I'd assume that she's read the Stouffer book(s) in the mid
80s, forgotten them, and subconciously recycled a few names such as
Larry/Harry Potter, Nimbus etc. If Rowling meant to deliberately rip off
Stouffer's work then I'd imagine she'd have paid a bit more attention to
disguising the fact!

  That's a possibility, but Rowling's failure (if that's what it is--no
judgment has been made, of course!) to recall the source of her character's
names doesn't excuse her from plagiarism.  If I write about an inept wizzard
(sic) named Rincewind, I'm still beholden to Pratchett even if I think I
came up with it on my own!

NK Stouffer seems to have missed another 'infringement example' - that
second initial K...

  They both stole it from Philip K Dick.

     Dave!