 Castle / 8236
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 02:58:54 GMT

But then, the ultimate in fantasy plaigarism is still around - Sword of Shanara, so who knows.

There's an even worse "copy" of Lord of the Rings - The Iron Tower
trilogy by Dennis L. McKiernan. It was explained to me once that this
resulted from McKiernan having written a sequel to Lord of the Rings,
and having it rejected as such, but the publisher liked the book - so,
McKiernan had to write the back story for his sequel... The Iron Tower
trilogy was MUCH more of a rip off than Sword of Shanara.

Frank

I've had the pleasure of reading most of Dennis L. Mckiernan's entire line
of books.  And I find his writing to be dynamic, enthralling and among the
best in the genre!

He sites J.R.R. Tolken; among others, in his foreword as being "fine
authors...who captures [his] heart and soul." He has no qualms admitting
where his inspiration comes from, or where the direction he scribes-in was
motivated from. He's acclaimed as "evocative and compelling" by many
noteworthy authors in his field and writes in a manner that is on par with
the Tolkens of the business. “Tales of Mithgar” and “The Iron Tower trilogy”
may have remnants of tales from Middle earth, yet I find it, along with his
entire line to be far superior to the majority of medieval fantasy novels.

Endnote summary: Mckiernan works surpass its predecessor (Tolken) in depth,
quality, and intensity. (I'm aware that Tolken may be the Godfather of this
genera, but in this case, the student has surpassed the master!!!)

Aggravatedly,

                          --==Richard==--

You can reach me @ SHROUD_OF_KUNG_FU@Hotmail.com

-Lego good, Canada great-®