 Castle / 8246
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:02:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Andrew Weiner writes:
In lugnet.castle, Richard Marchetti writes:
Bruce writes:
Sword of Shanara

Richard writes:
To what, more precisely, are you alluding to?

Ah, I see -- the Lord of the Rings, right? Since I haven't read either
series I would be interested in the kinds of similarities that appear to
exist in both works.

Just for extra fun, in what ways does the Lord of the Rings lift from
Northern European mythology?  I have heard that it does so quite
extensively.  Does that feel like plagarism, or does it feel like an
appropriate mining of culturally relevant archetypes?

I am not exactly going to mount an argument in favor of plagarism, but I
will say that there is nothing new under the sun...especially not with 5
billion fairly creative creatures running around on earth at the present time.

-- Hop-Frog

well lotr doesn't have that much to do with euro mythology in my eyes,
it has dwarves and goblins, and giant animals but thats it mainly oh and
dragons, to me it is just a fun story and i hope for the movie to be great!

A great deal of the alternate reality in LOTR/Tolkien books is based upon
his understanding of Norse Mythology.  He admitted publicly long ago that it
was a prime influence for him, his initial interest was in drawing out
mythical maps (from his own head) when he was younger.  Eventually he
developed names for the maps, and invented a language that uses classic
runes and some combinations of english.  So you could call him a Pirate if
you want, but anyone who writes has to start somewhere and is usually
influenced by something outside themselves.  Personally, I am thankful for
the work he did.
And the work of Rowling (Harry Potter) is also something to thank the author
for.
2 cents.
Aaron