 Castle / 8254
Re: Disney actually did this with "Lion King"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:25:58 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Simmons writes:
I remember seeing a news story where a japanese company was suing Disney for
plagiarism over "The Lion King."  Their character was named Kimba while the
Disney version was named Simba.  The stories were virtually the same.
However, I'll bet Disney's stable of lawyers quashed any further publicity
rather swiftly since that was the only time I heard about it.

I rather take it that Anime company failed.  Simba is simply Swahili for
"lion".  And if they mean Kimba the White Lion, the stories weren't similiar
at all, beyond being animated lions.  Anytime something makes a lot of
money, people come out of the woodwork with these claims, most of them bogus.

I really don't care what with this Larry/Harry situation.  I read the first
two or three Potter books and found them somewhat amusing, but I just as
quickly forgot them.  To quote the comedian Steven Wright, "To steal from
one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research."

Dave

Like I said, this woman's web site is extremely self-serving.  Perhaps she
has a case, perhaps she doesn't.  But based on what I saw, I'm hardly
convinced.  More must come out, and the only case she seems to have is
trademark.  She notes a half dozen name similiarites, but virtually nothing
in the way of plot similiarities.

Bruce