 Castle / 8252
Re: Disney actually did this with "Lion King"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:07:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Simmons writes:
I remember seeing a news story where a japanese company was suing Disney for
plagiarism over "The Lion King."  Their character was named Kimba while the
Disney version was named Simba.  The stories were virtually the same.
However, I'll bet Disney's stable of lawyers quashed any further publicity
rather swiftly since that was the only time I heard about it.

I really don't care what with this Larry/Harry situation.  I read the first
two or three Potter books and found them somewhat amusing, but I just as
quickly forgot them.  To quote the comedian Steven Wright, "To steal from
one person is plagiarism, to steal from many is research."

Dave

Dave Schuler <orrex@excite.com> wrote in message

There is a difference between these two occurences. The Harry Potter lawsuit
is over the fact that both books use the term "muggles" though to mean
different things. Also there is a character in suer's book named Larry
Potter but he in no other way resembles Harry Potter. As far as I know that
is where the resemblance ends and it sounds purely accidental and in no way
actionable.

The Kimba the White lion story is a different issue. The movie and TV series
are practically a cultural treasure in Japan and are considered a landmark
in anime and animation worldwide. They are still watched and widely
available on tape. Besides the name similarities the Lion King is very
similar in plot, if different in pictoral style and tone. The two are very
similar. I am not sure but I believe thqat the original creator is dead and
that may be one reason why a lawsuit was not pursued more vigorously. Or
perhaps the copyright has lapsed so there was no legal basis for a claim.
Disney however has strenuously denied the presence of any similarity between
the two in an attempt to define its product as entirely unique  and without
precursor. This is unfair to Disney's animators who are acknowledged fans of
Kimba.

This is turning into a rant so I'll stop now.

Jonathan L