 Off-Topic / Debate / 9560
Re: Disney actually did this with "Lion King"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 21:14:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark Papenfuss writes:
<snip>
Funny you mention this, i remember seeing a story on a news show
(dateline?)that there was a resturant named McDonalds, I think in Scotland,
that is a very fancy, high class place. And McDonalds tried to sue them over
the name. If I remember correctly, the fancy McDonalds was around before the
fast-food joint, but I am working from a faded memory.  Maybe somebody who
has more time will do some searching on this.
Mark

Actually, the story I heard was that as Fast food McDonald's moved into England
and Scotland, the found a small restaurant near one of the desired sites named
McDonalds.  It wasn't too large or high class (I'll get to that later) but I
also don't think they were around when McDonalds was founded in the U.S. so
MickeyD's moved in for the kill.  This was stopped when the head of the
McDonald or Macdonald clan was called by the owner of the small shop, who was
another Macdonald.  He stepped in and pointed out that Macdonald castle has
been an Inn (the fancy one) for many more years than burgers have been flipped
and THEY owned the rights to the name, in Scotland at least, and they opted to
sponsor/endorse the small restauraunt.  MickeyD's is still in Scotland, but
they don't try to push other people around as much.

Something similar, to add to the off-topic, copyrights, I've been told that
either the Big Mac or Whopper is knows as  the Big King in Australia due to a
established eatery already using the name.

Sean "Nae so Wee" Forbes