 Off-Topic / Debate / 9538
Re: Plagarism in Fantasy Novels? (was Re: Harry Potter?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:13:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mark James writes:
In lugnet.castle, Thomas Garrison writes:

In lugnet.castle, Mark James writes:
The format was nailed down into a cod-medieval/'age of chivalry' milleau
(with a few Nordic bits and Christian allegory) by Tolkien and the Inklings.
No-one has significantly deviated from this.

I'd say the genre predates Tolkien and co. (see, e.g., _The Worm Ouroboros_ by
E.R. Eddison).  Tolkien is the archetype for much later s&s fantasy--notice
blatent use of orcs (you can barely argue a medieval precedent), his spelling
of dwarfs, etc.

I wasn't saying that JR invented the genre, rather that he defined it for
the vast majority of authors. Middle Earth *is* the template and yardstick
for pretty much everything. I don't know the origin of 'orc' - tell me! -
but I wouldn't have thought you could draw conclusions from 'dwarves'?

Middle-earth, hyphenated, small e.  Tolkien had a number of idiosynchratic
spellings, such as dwarves.

Orc is derived from Ogre, which is why you see fantasy games can get away
with refering to orcs, but never Hobbits.

Bruce
(who got away with orcs and halflings in Bard's Tale III, but was able to
say Hobbits in The Lord of the Rings, volume 1)