 Off-Topic / Debate / 9540
Re: Plagarism in Fantasy Novels? (was Re: Harry Potter?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:37:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Stacey writes:

As opposed to Earth in the distant past (some have claimed) - Tolkien
I had to stop reading Sword of Sha na na cos it was such a blatent rip off I
couldn't stomach it - I love the lord of the Rings. Tolkien was a great
scholar of western European Mythology and it did inspire much of his work,
but it can definately be said he put it into a unique context which many
others have tried to emulate.

I couldn't finish it either.  I threw it against the wall.  It had such a
marketing hype from Ballantine along with the Hildebrandt illustrations, I
felt betrayed that either would have anything to do with it.

Brookes was embarrisingly bad, Donaldson was
just too depressing, Feist was too far up his own ass and Eddings was to
simplistic for his own good.

I am a leper.  I feel sorry for myself.  Repeat ad nauseum.  Donaldson is
one of those love or hate there is no in-between authors.  I'm on the hate
side.  I have a problem with Feist because his world was simply a FRP
supplement with the whacky idea of a feudal Japanese-based civilization
being right next to a European feudal civilization (and when the nonsense
was pointed out, thus was borh the rift idea).  Ignorance is bliss - my wife
enjoyed it.  Eddings was predictable, but was quite good with teen-age angst
- totally clueless about cavalry, though.

imho. David Gemmell is the only writer to get
close.

Alas, my fantasy knowledge fails me: who is Gemmell?

Apart from Terry Pratchett who in lampooning the entire genre has
created something quite original. I haven't read any Harry Potter yet cos
people keep saying they're the best childerns Fantasy books ever, lets see
if it ages as well as CS Lewis' Narnia or The Hobbit. I'll put money on the
fact it dosen't

I highly recommend Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain (which, like
Tolkein, is inspired in part by the Mabingion) which I would rate above
Narnia, and perhaps The Hobbit.  I wouldn't rate Harry Potter as the best,
but I thought the various novels enjoyable.

anyway.... ... I want a lego balrog !

Hold the wings!

Bruce