 Castle / 8239
Re: Harry Potter?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 05:15:35 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Richard Noeckel writes:

Endnote summary: Mckiernan works surpass its predecessor (Tolken) in depth,
quality, and intensity. (I'm aware that Tolken may be the Godfather of this
genera, but in this case, the student has surpassed the master!!!)

You know, this claim has been made a thousand times... Why? Does it sell
books? Can it ever be trusted?

Why is this the first time I've ever heard of this author?

What does it mean to surpass Tolkien in 'intensity'? Tolkien is not an
author I'd refer to as 'intense'! I mean, there is some strange force that
keeps you going through the meandering nature walk that is Lord of the
Rings, it is occasionally engrossing, but most of it is not particularly
intense.

What does it mean to surpass in depth? Is there some scale you can sound
depth by? It's easy to be intimidated by all the 'depth' if that means
background histories in Tolkien. I'm not sure intimidation is what occurs
when the background is hastily written in imitation (say, in less than half
a lifetime.)

Quality? The works of the best quality do not excel at the same things.

Works of quality are generally not similar to each other. One will be
detached, remote, but avuncular, another will be fanatic about style,
another will dwell inside the character's idlest thoughts.